PDA

View Full Version : Twists on a Theme

Mark Hubl
08-06-2011, 3:58 PM
Have not had much time for posting lately. But I do get to take a peek on the smart phone. As always, so much good work going on here. Looks like many got charged up at the symposium and still are!

Been stuck on twists lately. Here is some of what has fallen off the lathe.

Still working on twisted finials, the pic is the latest three since my last. A while back I posted a twisted box I did, I like the form so I thought I would try a few more. These are maple with the exception of the larger one, it is cherry. And, I thought I would try my hand at a twisted vase. It is elm. C&C always welcome.

Edited to add open lids.

Bill Bolen
08-06-2011, 4:12 PM
The "rib cage" and shells rally knock my socks off. Now I'm hankering to give it a shot myself. Just outstanding!! ...Bill...

Marc Himes
08-06-2011, 4:28 PM
Excellent work, Mark. I have done a little fluting and I find it to be difficult, especially the sanding part, so I admire your craftsmanship and the beauty of your pieces. Well done!

Eric Holmquist
08-06-2011, 4:29 PM
All of it is fantastic. Like Bill, I have wanted to do this sort of thing for a while. Seeing great results like this moves that day closer!

Paulo Marin
08-06-2011, 4:36 PM
Mark,
I find your turnings fascinating. The shapes and twists are impressive. On the last picture on the right, it looks like couple of them are actual boxes. I see a line there... Are they boxes? If yes, I would love to see a picture of them open. Also, do you have a website so I can see more. I go into a new hobby of collecting other people turnings. :)
Excellent work!
Paulo Marin

Richard Madden
08-06-2011, 4:40 PM
Really nice work on all. Excellent!!!

Steve Vaughan
08-06-2011, 4:53 PM
WOW! That's something else! Another piece of inspiration right there, thanks for sharing this with us.

Kathy Marshall
08-06-2011, 4:56 PM
Excellent work! I can't imagine the time and patience required for the carving and sanding. They all look wonderful!

John Keeton
08-06-2011, 5:23 PM
Excellent work, Mark! The Rib Cage is a superb piece - just really very well done. The middle finial is near perfection - I particularly like the reverse twist embellishment at the top. And, the boxes are just awesome - great work! You have been holding out on us!

Robert McGowen
08-06-2011, 5:26 PM
These are really something else, Mark. The rib vase is outstanding!

Jim Burr
08-06-2011, 5:39 PM
You need to try a tutorial on this carving method Mark...just amazing. They all are over the top!!

Jon Nuckles
08-06-2011, 5:43 PM
All are great, but I especially like the boxes. Is it all hand carving? Amazing stuff!

Ed Morgano
08-06-2011, 5:43 PM
Mark,
This is just a blatant example of someone.... with superior skills and talent who has put in an incredible amount of effort.....just plain showing off. :D:D:D

Tim Thiebaut
08-06-2011, 6:22 PM
Mark those are just amazing....I have a ton of respect for you all that can carve like that...

David E Keller
08-06-2011, 8:17 PM
Lovely work, Mark! Glad to see you posting as well. Those little boxes are fantastic... Seems like it would be a great way for someone to experiment with carving spirals without investing a ton of time on a larger piece. Thanks for sharing!

Scott Hackler
08-06-2011, 9:04 PM
Wow! The "rib cage" is fantastic! Really, really great. Thanks for sharing and welcome back!!

charlie knighton
08-06-2011, 9:46 PM
+1=10.........

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Beautiful work Mark. Those are just amazing.

Baxter Smith
08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
They are all nice Mark but the twisted elm is a real standout for me!

Michelle Rich
08-07-2011, 7:32 AM
BEAUTIFUL I remarked over on WOW about your RIB CAGE, but it's nice to see here , what else you have been producing. Super stuff

Lionel Mercier
08-07-2011, 2:01 PM
Outstanding Work !
I really can not say what I like most, design of both is fantastic
I admire the work of sanding
Congratulations

Donny Lawson
08-07-2011, 2:05 PM
WOW, but HOW??????????? you do that??????

James Combs
08-07-2011, 2:10 PM
You need to try a tutorial on this carving method Mark...just amazing. They all are over the top!!

I am with Jim here. A quick tutorial would be nice or a link to an existing one. That is some outstanding work.

Mark Hubl
08-07-2011, 2:35 PM
Thanks all. I know that this type of work is not everyone's cup of tea. I think that is what is so intriguing about turning for me, there are so many directions one can take. For now, for me, it is about experimentation, learning better methods and processes (which of course usually means new tools) and just getting better at turning. A long time ago I wanted to learn to carve, needless to say much time has passed and I have not. With turning, I can again explore that interest. For now some sculpting and embellishment, but I hope to develop a higher level of skill to incorporate more carving into my work.

The photogs in the original post are also a little weird. I was in a hurry and did not want to set up the tent and lights. So, I am experimenting with a new technique. Light painting. All the photos were made in my office with the lights off, long exposure (5-15 seconds) and a single bulb led flashlight. None have been retouched. This technique yields some interesting results.

Are they boxes? If yes, I would love to see a picture of them open. Also, do you have a website so I can see more.
Paulo Marin

Thanks Paulo. They are boxes, I added a photo to show them open. I don't have a web site. I mainly post things of interest here. I have a gallery here as well, might not be real up to date. I will send you a PM later today.

You need to try a tutorial on this carving method Mark...just amazing.
Thanks Jim. I will try and put something together when I do another of these. Which I will. The basics are in Richard Maddens tutorial on finials. Laying out the bines and then cutting in. I use a chisel to start, then rasps and files, and then some real hogging with a burr. (I just found the Kutzall minis, they are very nice for this type of stuff). I then sand, file and sand. Don't forget your lathe makes a great sander. For shaping I use my drill chuck and sanding pads in the lathe and free hand the object, real time saver. Anyway, I will put together some pics. I added a couple of WIP pics here.

Is it all hand carving?

Thanks Jon. I do use some corded tools to accomplish wood removal, but it is all by hand. These pieces were not done with any jigs or routers. Most of the work is really done with rasps, files, a diamond burr or two and sand paper. I would consider this more shaping then carving. Check out the carving forum, those cats are awfully good.

Russell Eaton
08-08-2011, 7:10 AM
Mark, the ribcage is one of the neatest turning that I have seen in a while. That takes a lot of time and patience to do, as well as a steady hand.