View Full Version : $40 solution to run 220V into the garage!

Silas Smith
02-19-2005, 1:39 PM
This might make electricians cringe and if I burn my house down I will tear it out before the insurance investigators come over, but It works! I have struggled for a while trying to figure out how to get 220 into my garage. In Texas, we don't have the luxury of basements so I had no good way to run 220 from one side of my 2 story house to the other side where the garage is located. I ended up putting in a new 30 amp breaker (this might be too much, but it was free) and adding a 220V receptor by my panel. I then used a 50 foot 10 guage extention cord and fun it to my shop (garage). I am only pulling 11-12 amps with my shaper and even less with my dj-20. We are moving in the next 6 months, so I didn't want to spend any money if possible. The best part is that I can take the cord with me when I move and can do it again if needed.

Mike Cutler
02-19-2005, 1:51 PM
Silas. Should work out okay. It's a little "out of the box" so to speak, no pun intended. It is a you say temporary, but the receptacle should be in a weather proof, and not weather resistant box. It's definitely not even on my top 10 unsafe electrical tricks list, but be careful Bro', 'trons have a way of breaking loose every now and then ;)

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2005, 3:02 PM
I think it would be ok if it was ground fault protected, since it is an outside receptacle, like a hot tub requires. I bet it's a no no if not. Jim.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 3:16 PM
Also, your cord seems a little light for 30 amps. Be very careful with that cord!! If it gets hot after a long run, it is too light. Anyways, good thinking, I have to figure out the same thing.

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 3:58 PM
Should you stumble on a 20a breaker...replace the 30a breaker with it since your plugs are not rated for 30a...and I do agree with Jeff to monitor the cord. It likely will not be a problem since you're not drawing a lot of juice and it's only 50' but there is never harm in being careful.

Matt Meiser
02-19-2005, 4:41 PM
I would highly recommend installing a GFCI 20A breaker. First, for your own safety, but second, you mentioned that you will be moving in a few months. Assuming you are selling your house, you are almost sure to have a problem with the home inspection if the buyer has a good inspector. They'll want it fixed by a licensed electrician, and it will cost you a lot more in the long run.

Ted Shrader
02-19-2005, 5:57 PM
Silas -

Since the plug is outside it should be a GFCI circuit. You are moving in a little while, so just take out the circuit before you sell the house. Plugs are available for the holes you made. Or put in a 20A 220V GFCI.

Ted

Jerry Olexa
02-19-2005, 6:25 PM
Be careful. I always try to err on the side of too much protection when doing elexctrical, I know its temporary but you'll get nabbed as Matt says by the home inspector when u move, GFIs are not expensive and cheap safety insurance. Careful...