PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 90 or Jet 14" x 42" VS PRO (JWL-1442VSK)

Bob Ballenger
08-05-2011, 6:43 PM
I am just getting into woodturning. I have an opportunity to buy two very different lathes and would appreciate your input. The first is a Powermatic 90 Gold in very good condition. This machine is for sale by a member of the local woodturners group. The gentleman that owns it has recently aquired a third lathe from his brother a Powermatic 3250b. He doesn't need all 3 of them. The Powermatic 90 is 220 and has had its motor upgraded to a 2HP and its reversable. He would give me all of this brothers tools (top quality) along with the lathe for $1,200. I would need to buy a chuck. I have used this machine. The other lathe is a Jet 14"x42" VS PRO brand new which I can purchase for $1,150 delivered to my garage it has a 1 HP motor and is 110V. I would have probably have to pay someone to move the Powermatic to my garage. The Powermatic weighs about 600 lbs and the Jet about 350. So what do you think? Any advise would be appreciated.

Steve bellinger
08-05-2011, 8:32 PM
Bob in my mind there's only one way to go. Go gold:D Sounds like you will be getting one heck of a deal if you go with the powermatic. Not to say there's a thing wrong with the jet. I know a couple folks that have that lathe and they like it, but (again in MHO) you would never regreat going with the Powermatic.
Steve

Marty Eargle
08-05-2011, 8:34 PM
There are many preference factors that would need to be decided on for this decision I think. 90% of the time you want to go for the bigger, more powerful lathe simply because as your turning skills grow, you will get the inescapable urge to upgrade.

Personally, the swing on the PM is smaller but I would sacrifice it for the 2HP. My current lathe only has 1HP and I can't wait to upgrade. Depending on condition, I think $1200 for that lathe and a set of tools is a pretty good deal. But, if it is going to cost you more than you're comfortable with to get it to your place....the Jet is certainly much more manageable.

Either way...you're looking at a lathe that is going to do everything you need it to while you're getting into the craft.

Jim Burr
08-05-2011, 8:56 PM
You don't tell us where you're located Bob, but if you get the PM...I'll take the Jet. It's likely a 1.5HP 110v. The 2HP is a 220v model. Asx much as it pains me...I'd get the Jet over the 90 in a heartbeat. weep weep...

James Combs
08-05-2011, 9:03 PM
You don't tell us where you're located Bob, but if you get the PM...I'll take the Jet. It's likely a 1.5HP 110v. The 2HP is a 220v model. Asx much as it pains me...I'd get the Jet over the 90 in a heartbeat. weep weep...

Jim, you are not confusing this jet with the 1642 are you. The 1642 comes in 1.5 and 2hp but I believe the 1442 is only 1hp. It is similar but smaller.

Bob Ballenger
08-05-2011, 9:29 PM
For clarification the Jet is indeed a 1 HP motor. I live in SW Virginia. Bob

Bob Bergstrom
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
The 1442 reeves drive prone to problems. The 90 is a tank and with 2hp. is a great lathe. Swing can be increased if needed and there is a thread on this forum on souping this lathe up. We have a 1442 at our club and have had to work on the reeves drive a couple times. I would choose the 90. If it were up against the 1642 it would be a different story. The electronic variable speed is a dream to work on.

Bernie Weishapl
08-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Go for the Gold. You won't be sorry.

Bob Ballenger
08-08-2011, 9:12 PM
Everyone thanks for your input. It is sincerely appreciated.

Bob

Roger Chandler
08-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I would go for the PM 90 over that Jet any day of the week............jump on it before it gets away! Far better lathe!

David Warkentin
08-09-2011, 8:54 AM
You can take that 90 apart to haul it. That's definitely the one I would buy. Swap that motor out for a 3 phase and a vfd and have variable speed on a dial.

Roy Turbett
08-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Bob - I have two Powermatic 90's and love em. They are very easy to disassemble for transport and you can easily raise the headstock, tailstock and toolrests without breaking the bank. There are several threads here and at OWWM.org on how to do this. The lathe you would be getting is ideal because you can use the Reeves drive in combination with the electronic variable speed.