PDA

View Full Version : Does the dado go on the inside of the box?

Silas Smith
02-19-2005, 1:20 PM
After preping the wood for an hour and cutting the dovetails for another hour, I though I would cut a dado on the inside for the divider. I thought I had double checked the placement, but as soon as I finished, I got that feeling.:eek: I quickly assembled the box and realized that I am an idiot. I know it has taken me 30 years to come to this conclusion, but better now than later. I guess if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?:o Anyone ever done something this boneheaded?

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 1:23 PM
Yup. Been there, done that. At least your box is box-joints and you could conceivably reverse the piece...although that wouldn't work if you already cut a slot for the bottom. You'd loose grain continuity if you are doing a single board, continuous grain thing, but it would still be a usable box.

Silas Smith
02-19-2005, 1:25 PM
Actually, it is a dovetail joint. No compensating for that one.

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 1:27 PM
Ouch...I guess I misread the picture. Well...you can always fill them and make it a "design feature"!! ;)

Christopher Pine
02-19-2005, 1:27 PM
Looks like you just created an opportunity for a decorative inlay of some other type of wood? SOrry but make the best of it I guess.. I guess you could recut that one side panel?

Chris

Silas Smith
02-19-2005, 1:32 PM
"I guess you could recut that one side panel? "

Even worse, I cut both panels at the same time, I wanted to make a perfect fit. This is paduak and I think I am just going to use it for storage in the shop. I am sick of everything turning red when I work with it. I was going to make the lid and base out of curly maple, I think I will make the case out of Jatobe now. It is a project that work wanted me to make. This means that 500+ people will see it every day and, being in management, they all know who built it. I guess I want to put my best foot forward.

John Hulett
02-19-2005, 1:53 PM
If the dado were somehow curved, you could call it an "embelishment."

Robert Mayer
02-19-2005, 4:09 PM
another vote for some kind of inlay. Or cut another piece of the same wood and get it to fit snug.

Per Swenson
02-19-2005, 4:23 PM
You are not alone, I made 12 cabinet cases with with 24 left sides. Once.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-19-2005, 4:27 PM
Hi Silas, I can't offer any help with this but for the future mark the side you want to cut with a chalk mark etc. Do this before you disassemble the dry fit and you should be o.k. I do this all the time to remind me otherwise I'd make the same kind of mistake.

But your efforts haven't been wasted. You've practiced doing something with wood and that's always worth something. You won't do this again as anybody can tell you who has learned the hard way. I can think of a few examples myself: like the time I sanded through a veneer, etc. :) Alan in Md.

Bill Arnold
02-19-2005, 4:56 PM
Silas,

Got lemons? Make lemonade.

The guys who suggested inlay are right on, I think. Inlay some wenge -- put a 1/8" to 1/4" border of wenge around the top and bottom edges. Make your top with a handle of wenge to tie in to the inlay. Maybe even follow through with the inlay across the top to tie front to back.

Regards,

Norman Hitt
02-19-2005, 5:41 PM
It appears from the Pics that the dados would not have matched anyhow, as you must have referenced opposite ends when marking the dados, is that correct? I do agree with the others though, that a nice inlay supported by other "tie together inlays" and trim could make it a very nice and unique box that no one else will ever know started out as a mistake. It will give it some of that "Artsy" flair.

Ted Shrader
02-19-2005, 5:50 PM
Silas -

Why not cut matching ones on each side (they look off set) and put in some inlay. Wrap the bands all the way obver the top. Do you have a company logo cast in metal that could go between them?

That isn't a mistake, it is a "feature".

BTDT,
Ted

Doug Shepard
02-19-2005, 7:14 PM
Well I haven't done that particular one, but I have cut misaligned dado slots due to not laying out from the same ends of panels.
I'm with most of the others. Put a contrasting wood in there so that it looks like a planned inlay. Trying to put a matching piece of the same wood in there will just end up looking like a repair.

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2005, 7:24 PM
I've seen stuff like that happen.

Never get me to admit to it. Nope. Never. Nada. Not me. :o ;)

I know your frustration.

Bob Flemming
02-19-2005, 8:18 PM
I vote for the inlay. Why not, it's your project.

Dennis Peacock
02-19-2005, 8:25 PM
Been there and done that....more times than I care to even reflect upon.!!! :eek: :o

Wait until you spend 6 weeks working on a custom box to only find out that you have made it wrong and the box isn't square!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Or hour about applying a finish to a large chest-of-drawers only to find out that the stain isn't even and looks ugly as homemade sin!!!!!! Scratch one chest-of-drawers!!!!! :mad: :o :rolleyes:

Frank Chaffee
02-19-2005, 8:34 PM
Silas,
I wonder if you unconsciously want to expand your design horizons. I concur with others that an inlaid strip of contrasting wood will certainly appear intended and be quite beautiful, but you can also consider adding one or even several more cuts of various widths and spacings and inlay them with different woods. Looks to me like you are making a wonderful box that you will be very proud of, and just think how this one will have a very special story that you will be able to share with those who admire it.
I sure wish that I could make mistakes that could be salvaged!

Frank

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:38 PM
YAY ! I'm not the only one who does things like this ! I say put a nice inlay in it !

Fred LeBail
02-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I like Bill's solution .
It could have been worse ! Good luck!

Dale Thompson
02-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Silas,
I've been doing my dados like that for almost 40 years! What's the problem? :confused:

Dale T. :)

John Miliunas
02-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Silas,
I wonder if you unconsciously want to expand your design horizons. I concur with others that an inlaid strip of contrasting wood will certainly appear intended and be quite beautiful, but you can also consider adding one or even several more cuts of various widths and spacings and inlay them with different woods. Looks to me like you are making a wonderful box that you will be very proud of, and just think how this one will have a very special story that you will be able to share with those who admire it.
I sure wish that I could make mistakes that could be salvaged!

Frank
Oh no....NO! It's the BIG one! Call the paramedics. I'm getting dizzy. My eyesight is getting all blurry. It looks like. I think it's the same spelling. It certainly is the right town. Naw...It can't be Frank! Nope. The Frank I know just comes out here, kinda' sneaks in and then back out again without saying anything. BUT, just in case you are one in the same, welcome aboard, Frank! :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-20-2005, 12:43 AM
I feel your pain....I've been there myself before...You'll be allright in the AM. Take 2 advil etc and go back to the shop..:D