PDA

View Full Version : The What I Just Cooked That's Really Awesome thread....

John Coloccia
08-05-2011, 2:15 PM
John's spicy "curry" (for lack of a better name):

FYI: All salt is kosher salt

1 chicken breast, cut into bit sized chunks
Marinade in:

-TOASTED "curry" powder...mix your own if you wish, buy it....but TOAST it in a pan until it starts to get smokey. How much? Maybe a 1/4 cup or so, to taste.
-Garlic and Ginger paste...available at your local Middle Eastern market
-Fresh hot peppers, chopped (2 is probably about right)...also available at the Middle Eastern market
-A little rice wine vinegar
-A little soy sauce (not much...just a touch)
-Fresh cilantro
-A little fresh pepper

Put it all in a bag, mush it around, and toss it in the fridge for an hour or two

prepare the veggies:

1 yellow pepper
4 small plum tomatoes - REMOVE THE SEEDS AND GOOEY PARTS or you will make soup. Too much moisture
1 Portobello mushroom
4 cloves of crushed garlic. I do it by crushing with a knife and making a paste...use a crusher if you must

Make nice chunks of the veggies and put them aside

Put on some rice. I use brown rice. Toss a bit of butter, salt and pepper in with the rice. Toss in a decent amount of FIVE SPICE. Maybe 1/2 tablespoon or so, to taste. I just eyeball it.

When the rice is about 1/2 way done, sear the marinaded chicken in a pan (high heat) with some Canola oil. Sprinkle on a touch (just a touch) of salt. You're not cooking. You're just getting nice color and flavor from the outside of the chicken breast.

When the breast is seared, add all of the veggies, a touch more pepper and salt, and cover it. Reduce to medium heat...maybe even a touch less. Don't add any liquids. You will get plenty from the mushrooms and tomatoes.

Leave covered until the vegetables release all of their liquids, and then leave covered some more until everything is starting to combine. At the last minute, uncover and reduce for a moment or two. It won't take long.

plating:

Mound of rice in the middle of a good sized plate. Place the chicken concoction over the rice...make a nice line across the rice (this will let you eat the chicken, and then grab some rice from the side as opposed to having to much everything together). I sprinkled on a little raw red onion, garnished with some whole parsley leaves & raw hot pepper (not for the faint of heart) and then some of these little crunchy bits meant for snacking...again available at the middle eastern market. I wish I knew what they were called, but I can't remember right now.

I suggest replacing the parsley with cilantro, but I ran out of fresh cilantro (the plant's not doing so well) so we had to improvise.

Let rest for a few minutes.

If you did it right, the vegetables will be wonderfully fresh and tasty, and the chicken will practically fall apart with no hint of gumminess whatsoever.

Variations:

Add some plain yogurt to the marinade. I didn't have any but I would have if I did.
Add a touch of coconut milk to the pan when you add the veggies. You can also add a little right when you start to reduce instead. It depends if you want the coconut to really infuse the vegetables (I don't) or if you just want to make a little sauce (my preference). I like my food rather dry, not gooey and saucy like restaurants, so I rarely do this. If you want a restaurant-like sauce, though, do add the coconut milk. Impress your guests :)

Jim Koepke
08-06-2011, 6:37 PM
It has been too hot most places to do much cooking.

We did have some burgers that were made with a mix of ground beef & ground elk.

Now those were tasty.

jtk

John Coloccia
08-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Chicken Roulade with Pancetta, spinach and goat cheese.

Pasta is homemade tortellini (ricotta, spinach and parmesan filling) tossed with slow roasted tomatoes (leftover from weekend), zuccini and garlic.

The wife claimed that she didn't like goat cheese, and I don't really like it either but it works marvelously well to tie the blandness of the chicken with the sharpness of the pancetta. It all works beautifully together.

The only trick, if there is one, is to sear the chicken a little first in the pan to get nice color, and then toss the whole pan in the oven for 11 minutes. It's very hard to do this kind of cooking any other way.

Christopher Pine
08-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Looks delicious!!!!! My wife and I are doing this fun little project...

http://chrisanddarcyskitchen.blogspot.com/

John Coloccia
08-20-2011, 9:03 AM
Looks delicious!!!!! My wife and I are doing this fun little project...

http://chrisanddarcyskitchen.blogspot.com/

I was thinking of setting up a blog for stuff like this too. The turkey chowder sounds interesting. I may have to try that.