PDA

View Full Version : New Thompson tools for Lauren

Alan Zenreich
08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
I surprised my bride the other day with a gift wrapped item.

She eagerly unwrapped it, and was delighted to see her name on it (special thanks to Doug for being able to 'cross' the Z in our last name.)

However, she was a bit confused why I would just get her a handle.

She rattled it a bit and began unscrewing the bottom. I said 'that's where you put the batteries'.

She's not that gullible, but did give me an evil grin as she kept unscrewing the bottom plug.

Out came the four 3/8" V10 bits and a hex wrench.

Three bits came preground... bowl gouge, spindle gouge, detail gouge. One came round/fluteless... it can be ground into any shape desired (perhaps a skew, or a point tool, or a skewchigouge-like point)

So, I'm one of those fortunate few who can actually buy tools as gifts for the lady of the shop.

Alan Zenreich
08-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to make replacing the bits a tool-less operation.
This is a first attempt at a T handle to replace one of the setscrews of the 12" handle.

Thought you all might be entertained, by my little, simple tweak.

The steps

I drilled out a 1/4x20 female thread T-handle and rethreaded it to 5/16x24
On a mini-lathe, turned the head of a 5/16x24 socket head bolt to reduce the diameter, allowing it to fit inside the top opening of the T-handle
Shortened the socket head bolt to the proper length
Threaded the bolt into the T handle, using some red Loc-Tite (I can always install a horizontal pin if necessary later, but I don't think it will be needed)
The remaining set screw is just barely snug to the insert

The T-handle only needs finger pressure to secure the bit.

So far, so good.

John Keeton
08-05-2011, 2:01 PM
Yes, Alan, you are a lucky man! I could do the same with Ms. Keeton, but I would end up with the tools (the good part) and a nasty scowl (the not so good part!) I suspect after that, there would be a major purchase of her sewing needs that at least equaled the cost of the Thompsons. Hmmmmmm......might work!!!

Nice set, and neat modification.

Jim Burr
08-05-2011, 3:58 PM
Well done Alan!!! I always buy my wife something, the diamond anniversary band allowed me to get my Jet 1642...even though it came from pen $$, it can't hurt kiss up! Chat with my wife about turning...she sell more beaded jewelry than I sell pens so having her in the shop would be a plus!

Jon Nuckles
08-05-2011, 5:10 PM
That's great, Alan! My wife is also a Lauren, but I can't get her interested in woodturning. Maybe if I buy her some tools? No engraving her name, though, just in case.;)

Bill Bolen
08-05-2011, 6:29 PM
Ahhh Alan, you are a lucky man. I'm in the same boat as John. If it has nothing to do with quilting then no interest show in the process or tooling! I must admit though if we were both turners we would probably be in the poor house.

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2011, 7:20 PM
Wow - looks like quite the set of tools! She will enjoy them for a very long time!! Nice!!

Harry Robinette
08-05-2011, 9:00 PM
Nice gift,She'll appreciate them for a long time.The LOML turns but only pens and mini bird house decorations,her shop is next to mine in the basement.Stain glass is her main thing so I can still buy her tools.

Paul Singer
08-06-2011, 6:09 AM
Is this a standard offering from Doug or did you put this together yourself? I do not see it listed on his site. Very nice gift. About two years ago I bought a mini lathe for my wife because she has wanted to turn a small bowl for years. She never turned that bowl and now I am into this up to my ears. She is getting lots of bowls but now she does not want to do it herself.

Alan Zenreich
08-06-2011, 6:33 AM
Paul,

This set is now a standard offering ($150) but he had not yet updated his web site. So if anyone wants a set, give Doug Thompson a call.

Lauren Zenreich
08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
This was my first project with my wonderful new tools. I needed to make something for my boss for his birthday (he is a wine drinker). The wood is mahagony. The bottle stopper on the right was pure design play - no plans - just to feel out the tools before doing the second one where I wanted to incorporate a little wine goblet into the design. I used Ruth Niles' bottle stoppers. Both have some wood burning effects. They were finished with EEE wax and Behlen's friction polish.

Thank you, thank you Alan and Doug!! These tools fit me beautifully and felt like an extension of my hands and thoughts. They did exactly what I willed them to do. Alan modified the design with a T handle that makes changing tools fast and easy. Can't wait to get back into the shop!

Alan Zenreich
08-10-2011, 11:25 PM
And for those not already keeping score, this is Lauren's very first SMC post!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Welcome aboard Lauren! Nice projects!

Roger Chandler
08-11-2011, 8:34 AM
Geez..........nice present there Lauren.....[a beautiful name, for a lovely lady, no doubt!] Pretty cool there Alan.........nice that you both like to be in the shop together............that doesn't work at my house...........my wife hates sawdust........makes her break out in hives.

She does support me in my hobby..........most every tool in my shop has come from gift money over the years..........so I have no complaints ..........except the occasional one I hear when I track in shavings and chips in the house that are inevitably captured by the carpet.....:eek:........She makes sure I know where the vacuum cleaner is located! :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2011, 9:59 AM
Great looking project. Welcome to SMC.

John Keeton
08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Lauren, you did fantastic on those, and glad to see you finally posting! So......how do you folks decide who turns on which lathe????:confused::D

Lauren Zenreich
08-11-2011, 2:47 PM
John,

We have a one car wide by 4 car long driveway and three cars. When asked which car I drive, the answer is generally "unless we have to do something specific, we use whatever is at the end of the driveway"

We actually have 4 lathes.

A Nova DVR XP
A Delta 46-460
A Jet 1014vsi that we mainly use to bore holes in small blanks
A Micromark 7x14" mini metal lathe
So, although I usually use the Nova, and Lauren the Delta, we have no hesitation to use whatever is easiest for the task at hand.

Edit... oops, I just notice that Lauren was still logged in on my computer... that was me (Alan) who posted this message.

David E Keller
08-11-2011, 4:36 PM
Nice work on the stoppers, Lauren, and welcome!

Donny Lawson
08-11-2011, 5:41 PM
Nice tools,and nice stoppers.There is alot of good bragging on those tools. I may have to break down and buy me a set. Some of the ones I have now are salvaged from my shop fire and the rest are from a good friend here at the creek..

Baxter Smith
08-11-2011, 8:59 PM
Congrats on the tools, turnings and first post! Good luck on all the next ones of each!

Lauren Zenreich
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm hooked on turning just like Alan is. I think this is what I want to do when I grow up. Just have to find a way to get more hours in a day.

Kathy Marshall
08-12-2011, 3:28 AM
Welcome Lauren! and nice set of stoppers! I just received the same set of tools as a gift (except instead of a bar blank, mine has a little skew) and I just love them! The 3/8" bowl gouge is great for the small bowls I've been doing, it works very well on the transition from sides to bottom. The weight is very comfortable and the size lets me get into places I can't get my bigger gouges.
Looking forward to seeing your future projects!

Alan Zenreich
08-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok, Lauren's not the only one in the house who can have fun making stoppers. Here's a walnut piece I turned today as a gift for some friends. A Thompson detail gouge was used for most of it. We just ordered some more stoppers from Ruth... always good to have an excuse to call her.

Tim Thiebaut
08-14-2011, 2:13 PM
Those are some great looking tools, congrats Lauren, and that is a set Doug is offering now?? hhmm....I think some of these are in my near future, I have been drooling over them for a long time now...almost time to get some.

Alan Zenreich
08-14-2011, 4:45 PM
Tim, yes this set is now a product, but it is not on his web site yet, so give him a call.