PDA

View Full Version : What sanders do I need? What do you use most?

Ken Frohnert
08-05-2011, 7:14 AM
I am still accumulating some tools and one area I am short in I think is sanding - I have one sander a little cheap PC vibrating sander. I plan to build some stuff for the shop and house - workbench, rolling table, Adirondack Chairs, coat rack, etc. So should I go for OSS, belt sander, orbital sander, that little Ridgid belt OSS combo machine. I don't have a lot of shop space but I think I need some sanding equipment but not sure where I should expend my limited shop space to get the most use for the space taken. I would like to know what you folks use most often to help me decide.

Thanks,
Ken

Jerome Hanby
08-05-2011, 8:32 AM
I've got a Dewalt ROS that I use all the time, a Craftsman half sheet sander that hasn't had electrons passing through it in five years, a Hitachi belt sander that sees occasional use, a disk sander on my Shopsmith that sees occasional use, and a big belt sander attachment for the Shopsmith that I've never attached (yet). Add to that the usual drum sander attachment for the drill press. If I were starting over and money were no object, I'd buy one of the Festool ROS sanders, the Festool Vacuum, and the Grizzly oscillating spindle sander. In the real world where money is in short supply, I'd buy the Dewalt ROS and the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. Sanding to the line on curves just keeps coming up and a spindle sander would be much more convenient than the drill press attachment...

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2011, 8:51 AM
Ken, I would suggest starting with a Random Orbital Sander (ROS).

As Jerome indicated, knowing what I do now, I'd have started with a Festool and vacuum, and not have purchased an assortment of models and price ranges, I'd have done it right, once.

If you're like me and don't make an enormous amount of curved stuff, buy a sanding drum set for the drill press, and make a dust collection table to fit your drill press.

Regards, Rod.

Larry Fox
08-05-2011, 9:52 AM
My go-to sander is the Festool ETS-150/3 ROS but for narrower stuff I use the ETS-125. I have it paired with a CT-22 vac. When I was doing the research I found the combo to be INSANELY expensive but I have not regretted the purchase for a fraction of a second. I was on a job once and sanded a piece in someone's living room and there was no dust to be found anywhere.

Jamie Buxton
08-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Yep, a random-orbit sander hooked to a vacuum, preferrably a tool-triggered one. That takes care of practically all of my sanding. You can buy a vacuum with tool triggering built in, or you can buy a tool trigger from places like Woodcraft to control a less-expensive vacuum.

Steve Griffin
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
6" ROS and vacuum.

I like to sand on a 20" x 60" closed cell foam pad which is contact cemented to 1/4" mdf.
(it my old camping ground pad). Besides being perfect for sanding, it keeps work in place for clampless routing and biscuit jointing.

Buy in boxes of 50 or 100 sanding disks and set up a drawer or place next to sanding station. (I keep 100g, 120g,150g and 220g )

-Steve

Jim Neeley
08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
+1 on the ROS first.. with time you may well add a belt sander.

Comparing an OSS with a ROS is kinda like comparing a Sawzall to a table saw. Both cut but are totally different tools, for totally different uses. Actually, the OSS/ROS comparison is probably more significant. :)

Another point to ponder. A 6" ROS has about 45% more sanding area than a 5" and so sands noticibly quicker, as I've learned since adding a 6" to my tool collection.

Ryan Hellmer
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I would add to the proponents of 6" ROS. Festool gets lots of props here. I have a rigid that, when hooked to a vac, does a really fine job. My next sander will probably be the 6" mirka ceros. I also have a 1/3 sheet makita that is a joy to use. For benchtop sanders, it's tough to beat the rigid, although as pointed out above, apples and oranges. I do have a ryoby oscilating spindle sander that works pretty well for what OSS's do. Short answer is, you will probably need more than 1 type of sander and buy better than you think you will need.

Ryan

Brian W Evans
08-05-2011, 1:50 PM
Like many others, I use my ROS (5") for 90% of my sanding. Buy discs in bulk (I like Mirka). I don't have a Festool but if the dust-collection claims are true, it might be my next sander.

I also have 1/2 & 1/4 sheet orbital sanders that are rarely used. Ditto on the belt sander, although, when you need it you need it. I got a used Jet JBOS (OSS) that I love and use on most curved work. I also have a used Grizzly 48" belt/12" disc sander. The belt sander gets little to no use but the disc is quite handy for a variety of things.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy (in order):

ROS
OSS
Disc sander (12")
Belt sander (3x21" or 4x24")

One last thing: I've been considering replacing the OSS, disc sander, and my big belt sander with an oscillating edge sander. Some of these come with an OSS built in and would replace three machines while adding some functionality I don't currently have.

David Hostetler
08-05-2011, 2:04 PM
My sanders in list of how often used.

Spindle / Belt sander.
Quarter Sheet palm sander.
Random Orbital Sander
Block Sander (The 3M rubber block thingy).
Custom profile sanders, shop built.
Detail Sander A.K.A. Corner Cat sander.
Belt Sander (Harbor Freight cheapie 4x24 I think it is...).
Disc Sander (in my case, a disc and table attached to my lathe). I built that one, used it once, never again...

Tony Zaffuto
08-05-2011, 2:38 PM
No stroke sanders?

Ken Frohnert
08-05-2011, 3:28 PM
Holy sawdust Superman those Festools are expensive! Are they really that much better than a nice Dewalt, Milwaukee, or a Mikita? Seriously, it looks like the ROS is getting a lot of votes - not sure I can justify several hundred for a Festool at this point. How about 2nd best options in ROS?

What are good makes for belt sanders?

Rick Potter
08-05-2011, 3:47 PM
Ken,

Another one for the ROS. I have a Bosch and a Milwaukee. I like the Milwaukee hands down. It has much less vibration, better dust collection, and the filter cleans easier, and leaks less. You can also fit a shop vac to it.

Home Depot... $69.

Never tried a Festool, but I hear they are great, just out of my price range.

Rick Potter

Tom Ewell
08-05-2011, 3:55 PM
I believe there is a Bosch and a Makita that some compare favorably to the Festool, might look at Fein and Metabo as well.
Not sure of any model numbers but I believe they all were ROS in the 6" size, dual mode with decent vac hookup.

Can't respond to the current belt sander thing, I have two oldies, one and ancient Craftsman industrial 4x24 and a Dewalt 3x21 that is no longer available.
I've heard good things about the Bosch belt sander that reminds me of a locomotive and for quite a while the Porter Cable sanders were excellent. Might consider Makita as well.