PDA

View Full Version : Tightening the tote on a wooden plane

David Posey
08-05-2011, 12:19 AM
I have a wooden jointer that I rehabbed and have been using for a while but its tote is starting to get loose. It will move in and out perpendicular to the plane body about 1/8". The pictures aren't great but they should demonstrate what I'm talking about. The two from the side show how much the handle can move.

Everything is tight around the base, so there's no way I see to force glue in around it, and it doesn't seem to want to come completely loose. I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but this plane has a rectangular mortise for the handle, instead of the rounded kind you see on some wooden planes. There is no maker's mark on the body itself. The iron is Wm. Marples and Sons, and the cap iron is Alex Mathieson of Glasgow.

Does anyone have any insights as to how to get the tote to tighten back up? I'd also be interested in learning how these totes are joined to the plane body. My best guess is something like a foxtail tenon at either end. I've seen a few plane bodies in antique stores with totes broken off but didn't think to study them at the time. Any insights or suggestions are appreciated.

Steve Thomas
08-05-2011, 12:41 AM
From memory they are rearly a flat bottomed mortice... I think there was a discussion recently on this...?
The shape of the mortice allowed the handle to come out, if needed but would never permit it to come out while being pushed fowards (ie in use)

Zahid Naqvi
08-05-2011, 2:59 AM
can you move it laterally (i.e. front and back). The main body is solid wood so they must have inserted the handle somehow. I suspect one of the faces of the handle base is inclined to give it a better hold inside the slot. Perhaps you can pull it back all the way and then lift it up from the front. Maybe Rozieski will read this, I am sure he can come up with something.

george wilson
08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
The handles,IF they will come loose yet,can be gotten out by pulling them BACKWARDS. They are mortised in so they can't come out when you are pushing them forwards. However,if the handle gets too loose,you can suddenly have the plane body drop to the floor,leaving the handle in your hand.

If the handle won't quite yet come out by pulling it backwards,take a syringe and inject some water all around the handle. The hide glue will melt. BUT,if you wait too long to remove the handle,the glue may solidify,re activated by the water,or the handle will swell up,becoming temporarily tight in the mortise again. Some use vinegar to loosen hide glue.