PDA

View Full Version : Life left in saw plate width?

Peter Travis
08-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Greetings,
I haven't seen this answered in any of the great posts about saw rehab and sharpening- So I hope some of y'all can help.

At what point has a saw been sharpened past its useful life? When is it really not worth the time? When they've been sharpened past the TPI # stamped in the heel? (incidentally, did the Disstons all have this?). Is there a point where you're not going to get good results with the saw regardless of technique (in filing or sawing)? My Father-in-law picked up a bunch of old saws for me and I don't want to use up a good one learning to file, nor do I want to get frustrated trying to sharpen something that won't give good results regardless.

Here is a picture of a D23: the TPI (11) is right at the tooth line. I'd imagine that the main limitation is the proximity to the bottom of the handle, but is this one to let the kids practice sharpening on, or is it worth fixing up?

Here is a Disston 115. There are no numbers stamped in the heel. Is it wothwhile to send off to one of the saw docs or has the plate been used up?

This is assuming that all else that goes wrong with old saws is OK (no kinks, straight blade, no pitting).
-Thanks,
Peter

george wilson
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I used a couple of old saws for many years that had been sharpened until their front ends were only about 5/8"or less wide. I liked them,because I could cut mild curves with them by just sawing with the front part of the saw. It gets awkward when the teeth get all the way down to the saw's handle.

Those saws have enough life left in them to outlast you,and possibly the next user. How often do you re sharpen a saw,and how much metal do you really remove each time? Not much at all.

Jonathan McCullough
08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Harder to say without a photo of the whole saw to get a better idea of the overall cut of its gib. The position of the TPI mark can vary. I've got a saw where the person stamping the plate got it wrong and pulled the saw out halfway through the stamping process. A preliminary look suggests there's plenty of life left in those saws.

Peter Travis
08-05-2011, 9:52 AM
Great- Thanks for your help!

Bill Houghton
08-05-2011, 11:11 AM
The saw's been used up when it disappears.

Like George Wilson, I find it handy to have a saw that's been sharpened a lot - great remodeling saw, for those occasions that you have to cut in tight quarters and neither a power tool nor a full-size hand saw would fit.

Even when the tip gets too narrow to seem practical, you can cut down a 26" handsaw to a shorter length, et voila! you have a job site saw.

Peter Travis
08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Here are some more pictures of the saws I asked about.
Bill- now that you mention it- I do remember reading one of Bob Smalser's articles about shortening a saw if the tip gets too narrow.

george wilson
08-05-2011, 1:44 PM
I'd not even give a thought to those saws not being usable. Sharpen them up and saw!!:)

Bob Smalser
08-05-2011, 2:51 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?66090-New-Life-for-an-Old-Saw-–-Advanced-Filing-and-Restoration

Simply shorten it and mount a smaller, panel-saw handle.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/17912799/280197342.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/17912799/280198430.jpg

While you're at it, learn to slope the gullets to shape taller teeth like those on the lower saw (below) and you'll wonder why anyone would pay what they do for high-end Japanese saws that have to be sent back to the maker for proper resharpening.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/17912799/280287204.jpg

lowell holmes
08-05-2011, 6:31 PM
Bob,
Your at it again.:)

Did you use a flat file to get the teeth shape?

You and George are quite a pair.

george wilson
08-05-2011, 8:11 PM
What is that supposed to mean,Lowell?

lowell holmes
08-06-2011, 7:38 AM
George,

It means that we are privileged have two "salty" guys that seem to have nothing they can't make in this forum. :)

I admire the work and knowledge of both of you, and it struck me that the two of you were chiming in on an issue that I've
been concerned with. I appreciate yours and others take on woodworking issues.

I meant no offense.