PDA

View Full Version : 36" band saw question

lou sansone
02-19-2005, 12:31 PM
I thought I would give this a try @ SMC. Do any of you folks have an opinion (preferably with some first hand knowledge ) on the direct drive 36" band saws made by either Moak, Northfield, or Tannewitz? I have the floor space and the ceiling hight, as well as the 3 phase, so that is not an issue. How about the quality of cut and suitability for resaw. I have a real nice italian saw now, but the moak does look pretty cool.

lou

Steve Stube
02-19-2005, 1:05 PM
I use to buy wood from a guy with a bandsaw of that size and had very little planing to do afterwards. I just checked your BIO and think you probably better buy the saw and report back. (Christian, woodworker, engineer, collector) - it's in your blood. If the price is right, go for it.

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 1:21 PM
Those big old bandsaws can be awesome machines. The greatest challenge sometimes is dealing with safety things like blade guards, etc., that sometimes are missing. (or never existed on the really early stuff) David Ellsworth has a big'un in his shop that he restored years ago...unlike today's machines, the wheel spokes are actually exposed. I'm not familiar with the Moak name, but the other two I've seen folks talk about from time to time.

Alan Turner
02-19-2005, 7:16 PM
All are good brands, but I have never used an old iron 36". But, in the new shop building (closing 2/25) there is a 36" Yates, and it looks to have about 14" resaw is all. I offered the seller of the building $200 for it, but think I may actually pass it up after all since the top wheel has metal spokes, but a wooden (probably homemade) rim, and no table (they used a free standing particle board table). All in all, looks like it might be an accident waiting to happen. Tires are awful.
Of the brands you mentioned, my favorite used equip. dealer likes the NOrthfield bandsaws the best, even over the Olivers.
Let us know what you decide.
Alan

Perry Holbrook
02-19-2005, 8:11 PM
The 36" Tannewitz is the standard machine in the furniture industry. Out of college I worked for on of those major companies. In some of our plants we would have 12 to 15 of them lined up in a row.

You see them now all the time in on-line auctions of excess equipment. Parts are available for all the models. I hope to add one someday to the shop, but space, 3 phase and time for a rebuild is not in the cards right now.

Perry

Michael Perata
02-19-2005, 9:54 PM
I used a Tannewitz back in high school ('60-'64) and was impressed with the machine. A very smooth running monster.

I was at David Mark's place last summer and he had just received a MiniMax 36" BS and I was REALLY impressed with the MM. But I am guessing a used Tannewitz would be about half the price.

(I do have a MM 16 so I have a bias.)

James Boster
02-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I own a 30" tannawitz and my only refret is that it's not a 36". Absolutley! top notch quality compared to what is being sold today. By the way Tannawitz is still in business making bandsaws. I would recomend that if you check on a new one that you set down ,or lay down, before priceing as a new 36" saw will run between $17,000 to $22,000. THAT'S NOT A TYPO EITHER. If you watch online auctions you can get outstanding deals on them. I have seen lots of them go for $300 to $500 in the past few months. Just do your homework. My saw was built in the 1940's. Has all the gaurds that a newer saw would have. I did have to convert mine to single phase but I'm now thinking of putting the three phase motor back on and a phase converter. When I called tannawitz to see if a manual was available for my saw I explained to the rep that my saw was built in the mid 40's and he said that's not a problem because the saw they build today is the same, and all parts will still interchange! Try that on some other brands! If you are buying used watch out for any missing or broke parts as they are VERY VERY expensive to replace. Manual $50.00 Tires for wheels $300.00 each plus it takes a special tool to install tires. Hope this helps James.