PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Boats for there wood. Anyone here done so or know someone?

Craig D Peltier
08-04-2011, 7:20 PM
Someone told me this guy bought a boat for 800 it was just junk, he hauled it and at last count he had sold 75k in teak off of it.
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about salvaging boats for there lumber i.e. teak and hondo mahog.

Any info appreciated. It sound slike alot fo work, to tear it apart, then clean all the wood etc. Plus not sure of deck planks are thicker than 3/4 so theres room to plane, plus how wide they usually are.

Myk Rian
08-04-2011, 9:57 PM
Seems to me there would be so many screw holes in it, you could only make small boxes out of it.

Rick Potter
08-04-2011, 9:58 PM
Sounds like a rehash of the one I heard 40 years ago. In mine the guy bought useless, rotted Army gliders that were never uncrated. Then sold the mahogony crates for a bunch.

Rick Potter

Mike Henderson
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
If there's money to be made from boat salvage, you can be sure the people who work with boats every day will already be doing it. They are as smart as we are and they know a lot more about the difficulties of taking a boat apart, the cost of getting rid of the contaminated stuff, etc., etc.

Mike