PDA

View Full Version : First Sale/Commissioned Piece

Tony De Masi
08-04-2011, 3:45 PM
So this is not only my first sale, I tend to give things away, but also my first commissioned piece. A local fellow I recently met asked if I could make him a large bowl to make ceasar salads in. He is quite the foodie. Anyway, the piece needed to be large, no problem, needed to have an indentation for working the ingredients, and needed to look somewhat aged, meaning not a new piece.

So, here is what I came up with. 17 1/2 inch cherry bowl that I finish turned, from green wood, to a thickness of 3/4", carved then sanded the 2" x 3" indentation, then sanded the whole piece. Finish is Walnut only, about four coats. It will certainly warp and move some but that will fit right into what he was looking for.

He was quite pleased with my effort and I was quite pleased with what he paid me. AND, he's pretty sure that a whole bunch of his foodie friends will want them too. He also works at the only five star restaurant for counties around which also has a gift shop. So, he will also be asking the chef/owner if he would like to have some for the shop. Will be interesting for sure. Oh, did I forget to mention that this client is also an arborist who will supply me with as many large blanks that I can handle? Don't worry Mike (Cruz), you aren't being replaced.

C & C gracioulsy welcomed.

Not quite sure what happend to the picture quality here, but you get the picture, so to speak.

John Keeton
08-04-2011, 3:50 PM
Tony, that is fantastic! A current sale, and good circumstances for follow up sales! Hard to tell on the pic (too close with the camera maybe??), but where is the indentation - in the middle?

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2011, 4:08 PM
Wow! Kinda sounds like you won the lottery!! Congrats on the sale, the possible follow up commissions, the store front and the supply of wood! Wow - quite the gloat!!

Also, I am not familiar with an indentation in a bowl. Where is it and why?

Roger Chandler
08-04-2011, 4:11 PM
Geez.........some guys just step into it without even trying! Nice circumstances, there Tony! Good for you, my friend!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-04-2011, 4:23 PM
Tony,
The problem with the picture is you were shaking with excitement at making such a good bowl. Where did you find such a large piece of cherry? The look seems aged and full of the character caused by the old stories overheard while egg whites and garlic paste were being blended with other wonderful ingredients while waiting for the Parmesan Reggiano and long romaine leaves and just toasted croutons. I think you made him exactly what he asked for.
faust

Keith E Byrd
08-04-2011, 4:25 PM
Congrats on that deal - great bowl!

Robert McGowen
08-04-2011, 4:25 PM
And he comes out of retirement!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Tony De Masi
08-04-2011, 4:51 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm going to have to take another picture to show the indentation. On this pic it's located at the ten o'clock position just off of the dead center of the bowl. It it actually 1/2" deep.

Steve, apparently those who make the ceasar dressing themselves have to work the garlic, anchovies, and other assorted ingredients into a past type mixture. Or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

Faust, the cherry came from a county park near where I used to live. I actually got several trunk pieces with the largest being just over 24" diameter. I think I have three logs left including the bottom of the trunk. Do you need some? We could certainly do a trade.

charlie knighton
08-04-2011, 5:39 PM
congratulations, good to hear postive sales

Peter Elliott
08-04-2011, 6:01 PM
Good job Tony! the picture sucks!(hehehe) but I've seen all your work first hand and I know it's perfection!

So do we get "goodie bags" this weekend from your local Arborist? Mike is drying up..

Surprised you didn't use the cherry front down the hill? I have a few blanks brewing now from that tree.

-Peter

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-04-2011, 7:59 PM
Tony,
I feel a ride to VA in my future. Thanks for the kind offer. I'll have to come up with something deserving of good cherry.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
08-04-2011, 8:22 PM
Congrats Tony on the commission. Great to think you may have more in the future.

Jim Burr
08-04-2011, 9:44 PM
If you're happy and the customer is happy...and the Mrs is happy...you done good Tony!! Though I'd like to see a cool foto!

Cathy Schaewe
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Way to go!

Rob Cunningham
08-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice looking bowl Tony. Congrats on the commission/sale. Good luck with future sales.

Scott Hackler
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah on the bowl, sale and connections for future wood and sales. Booo on the horrible picture! :)

Tony De Masi
08-05-2011, 4:10 PM
I'm still puzzled on the picture. Was very clear from the camera and still clear after re-sizing. Once attached it turned to crud. Oh well. I'll do better next time.

Peter Elliott
08-05-2011, 5:50 PM
Tony, the size of the photo is tiny!!!.. meaning it's very low res and size. To see it clear, it's more like a .5"x.6" photo. Dan and I can show you how to get a better picture to upload off your camera.

Michael James
08-05-2011, 9:02 PM
That's always a good omen...full speed ahead! Congrats!
mj

Michelle Rich
08-06-2011, 6:51 AM
17 inches..one could serve a 5 course meal in that!! not just a salad!!!! What good luck..sales & wood too? turner heaven. I used to live in Front Royal..out of town, along the river & high up in the mtns. Was a nice place until everyone built weekend homes. Congrats ...