PDA

View Full Version : "Pretty In Pink"

Alan Trout
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
This is my latest acorn cap piece. This one is a little under 6" tall and about 5" or so in diameter and about 1/8" thick and very translucent with a live oak burl rim cast in the same resin. This is another commission piece that I just finished. It is for a pretty well known 2D artist. Her son saw my work and ask If I would make a piece for her upcoming birthday. I had only one request and that was to make it pink. I like pink but tend to favor darker salmon or coral pinks so I made it a little darker. It changes color depending on the angle you look at it. It will go from the red to a dark pink. Kind of cool to play with. The inspiration for the shape was a stemless brandy snifter that I saw. I found the shape to be very pleasing to my eye, but wanted to close down the opening a little bit. This is a glass smooth CA finish. It was hard to keep the glare down for the photograph. This one really looks better in person.

I like the shape and proportions of the piece but as always comments welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Alan

Roger Chandler
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Another beauty Alan! I think the owner will be ga-ga over it!

David E Keller
08-03-2011, 10:21 PM
It's a beautiful piece, Alan! Any chance this is gonna make the trip to SWAT before it's reaches it's ultimate home?

Congrats on the commissions... They're well deserved!

Alan Trout
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
It is due the 14th of this month but I am going to ask If I can borrow it for that weekend. This one is going to New Mexico. I am not sure but I hope so.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
08-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Another excellent creation Alan! Great form, vibrant color and a really cool contrast in textures! Looks like it should be bumpy yet it's smooth as glass! The new owner is going to love it!!

Bob Bergstrom
08-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Looks like you can buy another pressure pot. Beautiful piece. How much Pearl Ex went into this one? Would like to see some pics of the process in putting it together.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Another beauty Alan. I like the form and color.

Kathy Marshall
08-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Another beauty Alan! The color and form look great, it's got the shape that you just want to pick up and hold and I bet it's even better in person!

Jim Burr
08-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Wow!!!! Cool again Alan! Did you use acorn caps for the disc's in the casting?

Scott Hackler
08-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Nice work Alan. I hope you can bring this to SWAT. I need to see this in person, because ..honestly...the pink isn't doing it for me (at least from the picture). Having seen your work in person, I can attest to the coolness factor... so I will give this one a better viewing in Waco if it makes it.

Doug W Swanson
08-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Another great piece, Alan! I'm sure the recipient will be pleased!

Chris Burgess
08-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow this is great. I am wondering how it would look with a small batter powered candle in there, at 1/8" I bet it would shine through just right. Great work.

Jeff Nicol
08-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Alan, I love them all! I must try this casting thing one day, not sure when that one day will be, but it is on the list!

Awesome!

Jeff

Jeff Fagen
08-04-2011, 12:47 AM
This is a cool niche you have!

John Keeton
08-04-2011, 7:13 AM
Alan, you nailed the form - perfect! I love the color - Scott just isn't comfortable saying publicly he likes pink!!:D Each of those acorn caps just looks like it is filled with movement.

Great piece - again!! I am glad this is working for you, Alan - you deserve recognition for developing this concept to the level you have.

Alan Trout
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Alan, you nailed the form - perfect! I love the color - Scott just isn't comfortable saying publicly he likes pink!!:D Each of those acorn caps just looks like it is filled with movement.

I learned to like pink in High School You could go out at nite and if you were wearing a pink Polo or Lacoste shirt and you would always have more girls approach you. I got so many dates because of a pink shirt it was ridiculous. :)

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the kind comments. I really enjoy making these pieces.

Alan

Tim Rinehart
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Beautiful piece Alan. Sure is a super form, a must to hold and appreciate I'm sure. I hope some of you going to SWAT get a chance to see it and tell us more first hand.
Alan, yours are among the must-sees whenever you post, you certainly don't disappoint. Excellent work as always.

charlie knighton
08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
i like the dark pink, good concept, great form