PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

Bruce Page
08-03-2011, 6:10 PM
I received this email this afternoon, seems kind of strange, especially with the "informations" typo and the Craigslist reference. I haven’t tried to log into my Comcast account recently. What do you think?

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:18 PM
To: xxxx
Subject: An Important Message from Comcast!

This email was sent from our Comcast server to verify and confirm your identity.
There has been several multiple logon attempts mismatch on your comcast account
Account from an undisclosed IP/Computer location.
You are requested to verify your membership details correctly with comcast.

Verify and Update your identity Click here to login

Failure to confirm and verify your craigslist account informations might lead to your account permanently suspended.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2011, 6:16 PM
I surely wouldn't use that login link.

I would Google Comcast......log in through the URL you find there and check your information.

Mark Engel
08-03-2011, 6:18 PM
Looks like a scam to me. Someone is just trying to get your personal information.

Bruce Page
08-03-2011, 6:51 PM
I deactivated the link before I posted. I looked at our account info and rummaged around Comcast but trying to get around on their website is like trying to find your way through the Matrix.

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 7:14 PM
If the login doesn't go directly to comcast's page (by running the mouse over the link and looking at the target url at the bottom of the page), then it's garbage.

Either way, I'd call them instead of trying to reach by network, and customer service will be able to tell you quickly that no such thing exists on your account history.

Gary Hodgin
08-03-2011, 7:24 PM
Sounds like scam to me. I'd call Comcast and let them know.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:25 PM
Failure to confirm and verify your craigslist account informations might lead to your account permanently suspended.
Was this a typo on your part? Because CL doesn't have "accounts"... dead giveaway it's a fake.

Eric DeSilva
08-03-2011, 7:34 PM
Because CL doesn't have "accounts"... dead giveaway it's a fake.

Actually, CL does have accounts. You need one, I think, to post a for sale ad.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:40 PM
Actually, CL does have accounts. You need one, I think, to post a for sale ad.
I've posted a few, don't remember ever making an account, just giving an email address.

Jerrimy Snook
08-03-2011, 7:44 PM
You can get a craigslist account. It simplifies posting and keeps a history of items posted. There are some iPhone apps that have a pretty slick craigslist interface too.

Lloyd Kerry
08-03-2011, 9:53 PM
Bruce seems like a nice guy, but.. umm... should we mention eyebrow waxing ??

Jim Becker
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Scam-a-lang-a-ding-dong!

Bruce Page
08-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll give Comcast a calltomorrow and see what they say.

Bill ThompsonNM
08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
You can report it to Comcast but it's 100% scam. All the hallmarks-- bad grammar, requests for info that legitimate organizations don't ask for, some sense of urgency to panic you . Even slipping in the 'craigslist account' which was supposed to be changed to Comcast account for this version of the scam is a tip off. Google some of the phrases in the letter you'll come up with hits asking the same questions.
I googled the phrase with mismatch etc You'll come up with the same letter with craigslist, gmail and others. I have received similar emails with bank names that I have never had an account with! Phishing is what it's called.

Bryan Morgan
08-04-2011, 1:10 AM
Scam. I can't think of a single legitimate organization that will send you an email asking you to "verify" yourself by using your login and password. They already have it, why would they need to ask you? If you need their services you will use it at that time. Theres nothing to verify.

Myk Rian
08-04-2011, 6:40 AM
Scam. I can't think of a single legitimate organization that will send you an email asking you to "verify" yourself by using your login and password. They already have it, why would they need to ask you? If you need their services you will use it at that time. Theres nothing to verify.
Exactly correct. It really is a no-brainer.

Bruce Page
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Exactly correct. It really is a no-brainer.
I felt that way too, I just wanted to verify. This was my first Phishing.

Don Jarvie
08-04-2011, 1:26 PM
Bruce, on Comcast.net there is a link at the top for Security and then select Education and Help. Scroll down and you will see some FAQs regarding phishing. Comcast states that they never ask for password info over the phone or email.

Hit delete and forget about it.

Bruce Page
08-04-2011, 5:26 PM
Bruce seems like a nice guy, but.. umm... should we mention eyebrow waxing ??
That's my Neander look! :eek::)

Bill Cunningham
08-04-2011, 9:52 PM
If you use 'Thunderbird' for email, you can right click the link, and choose 'report email scam'..Enough people do it, and it will be flagged as a scam when anyone else gets it.. I usually also send them to spamcop which tracks it's origin and reports it to the ISP, if things are not corrected, the ISP can get blacklisted.
Every little bit helps..