PDA

View Full Version : Well its not an Incra

Bart Leetch
02-19-2005, 2:36 AM
But it will do everything I need.

I went to Grizzly today to look at miter gauges. After looking at 3 Incra miter gauges I decided that I would get this miter gauge. I purchased it along with the Grizzly dial Protractor which will allow me if need be to split hairs with this miter gauge. I don't anticipate having to go to that extrema. But this protractor will allow me to check tools for accuracy & I purchased both for less than a Incra 1000. Then my friend & I spent some time in his shop & made the extended fence. I'll add a stick on measuring tape at the top of the fence at a later date when it arrives.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 8:09 AM
Bart, that looks like a pretty sweet set up! Just as long as it is accurate, who cars if it is not an incra! Let us know how the test cuts turn out.

Jim Becker
02-19-2005, 9:43 AM
Very nice, Bart. The brand doesn't matter...operator setup is the key and you did a nice job.

One of the things I've found relative to my miter guages is that a sacrificial face makes for more accurate cut lines--just make a kerf and that's exactly where your blade is going to cut! (I use 1/2" MDF for that). You might consider sinking a couple threaded inserts in your "good fence" to accomodate easy attachment.

Ted Shrader
02-19-2005, 9:58 AM
Bart -

Good choices! The operator is the key to setting up a machine and its proper use.

Enjoy,
Ted

Jim Dunn
02-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Brad that's a nice purchase. I do have a question. Is that your new Delta UniSaw your router is mounted on? How close can you place the fence to the router insert. Is that a Beismeyer fence? Well that's more than one question but they all seem to tie in.
Jim

Bart Leetch
02-19-2005, 2:07 PM
Brad that's a nice purchase. I do have a question. Is that your new Delta UniSaw your router is mounted on? How close can you place the fence to the router insert. Is that a Biesemeyer fence? Well that's more than one question but they all seem to tie in.
Jim

Hi Jim

1. Yes it is my 1953 Unisaw.

2. Yes the router will be mounted there when I get it right now its a toss up between the Hitachi MV12 & Milwaukee's heavy-duty, 3-1/2 Max HP Fixed-Base Production Router, Model 5625-20 with the ability to raise & lower through the table & comes with a T handle to do so. I am leaning toward this router.

3. In the picture you can see that I can get within 1 5/8" of the router plate.
But that I have T-track in the table for the router fence.

In Nov 2004 Wood magazine there is a nice shop made fence that I am going to build for for my Router table. This fence has an extension with dust collection on the back side that will allow it to be clamped to the saw fence. So if you wanted to use your saw fence that way you could.
I found in the past that I always seem to need to rip or cross cut some small piece of material when I had the router fence on the table saw fence. I would encourage you to make adjustable mounts for your router fence. This will allow you to leave your router set up & still use the table-saw.

4. No the fence isn't a Biesemeyer it is a Shopfox Classic fence. I had a chance to examine my fence right next to a Biesemeyer commercial fence there isn't much difference. The one big difference is that the Shopfox fence faces can be removed or adjusted by removing a few screws & the Biesemeyer can't the basic fundamentals on both fences are the same.

5. Ahem no my name isn't Brad :eek: , I answer very well to Bart though :D .

Keith Christopher
02-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Square is square, 45 is 45 and all increments inbetween. Doesn't have to say incra as long as it's true ! Awesome ! I do admit I LOVE me obsorne miter gauge and my jointech. (because I'm so bad at squaring up things. ;) )

David Bradshaw
02-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Bart

I restore old houses for a living and often have to replicate architectural details. We use a lot of salvaged southern yellow pine that over the past hundred or so years has turned to rock. A lot of this is done on the router table with the MV 12 router, we put it to some pretty hard use and it has never given us any trouble. The soft start keeps the thing from jumping on start up and the electronic feed back will pour on the power as its needed. If your looking for a good well made router with guts I would recomend this one.

David