PDA

View Full Version : Car wax recomendations

BOB OLINGER
08-03-2011, 8:50 AM
Just got a new pick-up and would like to give it a wax job before winter. It's been several years since I did the hand wax application. There are many waxes on the market. I'd appreciate any recommendations and your experiences, ranging from the easier to more extended applications. Thanks.

Callan Campbell
08-03-2011, 9:00 AM
Oh WOW, this is like starting a sharpening method thread or a Sawstop debate,you're sure to get lots of different answers.
I've used many products over the years, but if the vehicle is sitting outside and not really covered alot, I prefer a Paint Sealant over a wax since I get more life out of it than with most waxes I've tried. For a long lasting wax in a liquid form, I really like Griots Garage 'Best in Show" wax. It outlasts my other stuff like Meguiars Yellow Wax, but is not as easy to apply as the Yellow Wax since it's a bit "gummy" once it's on the paint. Work with smaller sections at a time if you use the Griots wax and you'll do fine. I apply it by either hand or machine depending on surface area size, and get equally good results.
Enjoy your nw truck.......

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 9:49 AM
There was a similar thread a year or so ago...

I prefer Zaino... it's a polymer, not a carnauba-based wax, so I don't have to worry about it turning yellow. It's pricey, but it easily lasts an entire year (or more, depending upon how you treat your car) with a single application. See the other thread for my "egging" incident to see how easily stuff wipes off, even after baking in the Florida sun for an entire day.

Bryan Morgan
08-03-2011, 1:26 PM
One of my good friends had cars he drove around the country to car shows. He was really into that whole drifting and rice racer scene. His crew all had daily drivers but they had to compete with the trailer queens. The wax they swore on is Einszett. Of course their cars always looked great, with or without the crazy sticker packages and graphics the sponsors made them switch around all the time. I've looked for it but I can't really find it anywhere local.

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_car_wax.html

Gary Hodgin
08-03-2011, 3:20 PM
I don't wax my vehicles as often as I used to, but I had good luck with Maguair's products. For a new vehicle, would only use wax initially. For older vehicles (oxidation), I'd go through what they used to call a 3-step procedure: cleaner, polish, wax. Maguire's has all sorts of products. Today, I simply use a cleaner/wax combination. Not as effective as the 3-step procedure, but I'm getting too old and fat for that sort of work. Here's a link. Maguair's has a lot of stuff on its website.

http://www.meguiars.com/

Jeff Monson
08-03-2011, 3:37 PM
I like Meguiars products also, I use the "was as you dry" spray on product once every couple months, its super easy to apply and works well.

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 4:01 PM
I've got a question (and i'm guilty of waxing my car, too) - but why do folks wax their cars for durability any longer, especially if you live in a state with salt?

I understand doing it to make the car/truck look better, but I am not convinced it does a lot when a lot of the rust damage you see on cars is under or very close to the bottom of the car.

FIL insists on doing it because he recalls the days of cars that were rusting basically the day you took them off the lot, but I can't believe any of it does a lot to prevent problems like rocker panel rust, etc. What waxing does do for me is get my wife to stop telling me that I should wax the car because her father does it and "he wouldn't do it if it didn't do anything".

So, I only use a spray wax product because it's fast and it still looks nice when you're done.

Gary Hodgin
08-03-2011, 5:35 PM
I've got a question (and i'm guilty of waxing my car, too) - but why do folks wax their cars for durability any longer, especially if you live in a state with salt?

I understand doing it to make the car/truck look better, but I am not convinced it does a lot when a lot of the rust damage you see on cars is under or very close to the bottom of the car.

FIL insists on doing it because he recalls the days of cars that were rusting basically the day you took them off the lot, but I can't believe any of it does a lot to prevent problems like rocker panel rust, etc. What waxing does do for me is get my wife to stop telling me that I should wax the car because her father does it and "he wouldn't do it if it didn't do anything".

So, I only use a spray wax product because it's fast and it still looks nice when you're done.

David,
Fortunately, I live in an area where salt is not used that often. I always try to get to one of those undercarriage car wash machines as soon as the weather clears.

I think wax provides some protection from road contaminates, rain, birds, and so on. At least, it makes it easier to wash these things off. On older cars with some paint oxidation a paint cleaner, followed by polish, and then wax really changes the appearance, but it is a constant struggle.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-03-2011, 5:58 PM
I think waxing helps protect the paint from some of the chemicals in the body of dead insects that accumulate on the paint. It also make those same bug cadavers easier to remove.

Paul McGaha
08-03-2011, 6:01 PM
Meguier's in the red can.

Been using it a long time.

PHM

Mark Engel
08-03-2011, 6:27 PM
For something that is going to last a long time I use Meguiars NXT.

If you are looking to get a show car shine, look at Adam's Polishes products. Adam's Buttery wax is a carnauba based wax that goes on very easy and wipes off very easy. Buffs out to a very high shine. You can get it on the plastic parts with no worries, it will wipe right off. Check out the Adam's web site. There is a lot of really good information there as well as a bunch of videos.

JMTC.

Dave Lehnert
08-03-2011, 7:20 PM
My F150 is 14 years old and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. People ask me if I got a new truck.
I used the cheapest wax you can buy. KIT wax.

If you are looking for something super easy to apply I like Eagle one Nano wax. Started to use it on a new car and like it so far. Does not mess your black trim like wax does.

BOB OLINGER
08-05-2011, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I knew I'd get a good variety of ideas.

Bob O

Bill Huber
08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Good old Johnsons paste wax......... no that was the wrong canned answer....:D:D

I do like and use the Maguairs line of wax and cleaners, I have tried some others but they just don't last that long.

Chuck Wintle
08-06-2011, 6:58 AM
Just got a new pick-up and would like to give it a wax job before winter. It's been several years since I did the hand wax application. There are many waxes on the market. I'd appreciate any recommendations and your experiences, ranging from the easier to more extended applications. Thanks.

Bob,

What kind of paint does your new pickup have? If it is a base coat/clear coat finish avoid waxes containing abrasives. It should state this on the container. Older type paints oxidized on the surface from UV and abrasives helped remove this very thin layer of oxidized paint to keep the paint looking good.
With clear coat finishes this is not the case and, from my experience living in an area were a lot of salt is used, clear coat finish stands up well on its own. But in any case i used mothers gold with carnuba wax. JMHO
chuck

Gary Redden
08-06-2011, 9:55 AM
I put this on first http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Then I apply this afterwards http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

This was you get the best of both worlds. A sealant for long term protection and the carnuba wax for the deep shine.

Gary