PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Blades

Jack Burgess
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Good to be back with everyone after a short stay. Need to find out source of good quality scroll saw blades. Just entered the world of scroll sawing and unfamiliar with equipment. Did purchase a Central Machinery unit - not to spend too much on a trail piece of equipment I might not use mutch

Thanks

Myk Rian
08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Flying Dutchman. Get a variety pack.
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Dave Lehnert
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Flying Dutchman. Get a variety pack.
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

What he said, They are very sharp blades. He will send you samples if you ask.

Just a word on Scrollsaw. Cheap saws will make you hate scrollsawing very quick. I owned Craftsman and Ryobi brands and cound not make them work. Got a Dewalt and love it.
If you start scrollsawing and keep busting blades, don't blame yourself or the blades. It's your saw.

John Shaffner
08-03-2011, 9:50 AM
+1 on the FD blades. I've been scrolling for 20+ yrs and have finally attained scrolling bliss with my DeWalt. Your wisdom in buying a less expensive saw for trial purposes is kind of a mixed blessing. Sure you saved some money, but a bad saw may quell your interest in scrolling. You may end up hating it cuz you are cussin at your saw. A good blade can make a bad saw better, but it'll never make it cut like a better quality saw. BTW, I started with a Dremel Motoshop that I got as a gift. Although it sucked, it did spark interest enough to buy a Delta w/variable speed. I've since burned out 4 saws by sawing anything and everything I could get my hands on!;)

glenn bradley
08-03-2011, 1:38 PM
Another +1 on FD from Mike's. I was just getting my feet wet in scrolling and ordered the sample pack (assortment?). this turned out to be a great value and a great way to get a feel for the blades that I preferred. So many are so close in behavior and description that having the assortment really helped. The trick for me was to keep careful track of which blade you are using so you can recall which ones you liked.

A low end saw will cause you to misunderstand scrolling. Much like my $25 Black and Decker "jumping Jack" jigsaw had me ignorant of the fact that a jigsaw was actually a tool. :D:D:D