PDA

View Full Version : Unpleasant sight in my shop...

Mike Cruz
08-02-2011, 9:29 PM
Walked into the shop today to add some DNA to my "container" that had two platters and two bowls soaking. I entered the shop and thought, hmmmmm, that smells just like...DAGNABIT!!!!! My container leaked a couple of gallons of DNA onto my hickory floor! Luckily, I have another container that I quickly made a transfer into....:mad:

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2011, 9:32 PM
Sorry Mike...No pictures....didn't happen!;)

Roger Chandler
08-02-2011, 9:33 PM
Mike,

I had the same thing happen..........originally when I started doing a DNA soak, I had a 5 gal. pail from a dog food buy which was rectangle shaped.........I liked it a lot, went in one day, and there was a crack in the side..........don't know how it got there, but at least my leak was on a plywood subfloor, not hickory!

Steve Vaughan
08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Mike, sure glad there wasn't a spark anywhere! But, with your post, and with Roger's, made me think about the plastic container. I've got some DNA in a 5 gallon bucket I bought from the Home Depot. But, I wonder if the DNA is having any adverse affects on certain plastics to cause the container to crack?

Mike Cruz
08-02-2011, 11:01 PM
My container was a metal trash can with a plastic trash bag liner. The DNA was sitting in there for months. But I must have nicked the liner with one of the blanks. Harvey, I thought the "pics didn't happen" thing was reserved for gloats. I wish it didn't happen! But to satisfy you, I'll try to remember to take a pic of the stained floor tomorrow...;)

Scott Crumpton
08-03-2011, 8:49 AM
My DNA soak is a 5gal HDPE pail. I keep it in a black rubber lidded feed bucket. If the pail leaks, the feed bucket should catch it and contain the fumes well enough to prevent problems.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 9:53 AM
Mike,

Remind me and I'll bring you an extra water-leak alarm. Double-bag your DNA and place the alarm between the two bags. If the first one "obtains" a hole (through no fault of your own, I'm sure ;)), the alarm will let you know. I think I picked up a pack of 3-4 alarms for $10, only have need for one, right in the water heater pan.

Michael Ginsberg
08-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a Tupperware style cake container with a snap on lid. I have had my brew in for a year now. No leaks or evaporation.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I put my DNA container inside a pretty good sized plastic tote to catch it if it happens to crack and leak.

Mike Cruz
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Harvey, this is for you...

The stain left on my floor.

The container that I used to use and am not using again. (With a small bowl, a large bowl and two platters in it...the two platters and large bowl are 12" in diameter. The container has 3 gallons of DNA in it.)

A close up with the details on this container...for anyone interested. It is a pet food container, so it seals.

Chris Burgess
08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Ohh man. This has to get your goat. Maybe you could put your new container in a large water heater overflow pan. That is a nasty stain on an awesome floor. I am sorry about that. I have been wanting to get some DNA to try for my drying and I have learned from this. Thanks for sharing even though it is not an ideal share.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 1:37 PM
Mike,

I'll take that dog food container off of your hands if you're truly getting rid of it.

And no need to worry about draining the DNA out of it, I can take care of that for you ;)

Brian Kent
08-03-2011, 2:13 PM
I thought we were not supposed to mix alcohol and woodworking.

Mike Cruz
08-03-2011, 3:13 PM
ha! Nobody told me that!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Cruz
08-03-2011, 3:14 PM
Yeah, I bet you would... You know, I almost gave you the container when I went with the trash can. Kinda glad I didn't right now...

David DeCristoforo
08-03-2011, 6:30 PM
Well if you had filled it up with dogs and cats like it shows on the label, they would probably not have leaked out.

Jeff Nicol
08-03-2011, 6:37 PM
Mike, That is one issue I will never have to worry about, no DNA soak so no DNA leak......ever! I still have not had the need or the desire to use it, I just rough out a ton of things and work from there. I hate being pressured to finish a piece that is just not ready to be finished! Perfection takes time, so I will never ever get to perfection!

Stay safe, and no more spills,

Jeff

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:30 PM
I thought we were not supposed to mix alcohol and woodworking.
Brian is not allowed at our blank cutting parties... ;-)

Mike Cruz
08-03-2011, 8:20 PM
David, the leak occured using a metal trash can lined with a heavy duty thick trash bag...hence the round stain. The "pet container" has had no issues....yet.

Jeff, I use DNA because I don't want to wait 6 months for it to dry with Anchorseal. No one is rushing me...but me. :)

Harvey Ghesser
08-03-2011, 9:39 PM
Sorry about your floor, Mike!:(

I also use heavy a duty plastic bag in a cardboard box a la Steve Schlumpf. No problems....yet. Perhaps the stain isn't as bad as it looks...maybe it can be sanded out. My own brew is a very deep brown and when I return the bowl to the lathe, it seems like the stain doesn't soak in very deep.

Cudda been worse....

Mike Cruz
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Harvey...and yeah, it could have been a lot worse...it ALL could have leaked out! I imagine that the stain can be sanded out. Hard to see the stain through the dust on the floor right now... Tomorrow afternoon I plan on a BIG clean up. I have an incomming visiter...and it really sucks!!!!!!!!

Tony De Masi
08-04-2011, 6:57 AM
Sorry about that Mike. If you need more DNA Dan can probably help you out. He just loves spending money.

Mike Cruz
08-04-2011, 7:11 AM
Thanks, Tony. Yeah, that would be a nice Birthday present, wouldn't it? But then, I'd probably have to get him some Sorby or Thompson's gouge...

Dan Hintz
08-04-2011, 7:31 AM
If you need more DNA Dan can probably help you out. He just loves spending money.
Ouch ;) What are you trying to say, Tony?

Seriously, though... should I be looking into the cost of a 55-gal drum to split between us? Me, Tony, Mike, Pete... find another one or two people, get about 10 gallons each. I hear pricing should be around $6/gallon, give or take.

Mike Cruz
08-04-2011, 3:54 PM
He's not TRYING to say anything...he's SAYING it. :)

I'd be in for 10 gallons plus! I just can't seem to keep the stuff around... :) Honestly, though. $15 a gallon at HD/Lowes is killing me. $6 a gallon? Sign me up for 10-15.

Steve Kubien
08-04-2011, 5:28 PM
This is one of the reasons I switched to a refrigerator kiln. Accidents happen and accidents with DNA can be catastrophic.

Mike Cruz
08-04-2011, 6:42 PM
What do you need a fridge for in Ontario? Ain't it cold enough? :)