PDA

View Full Version : Source of laser information.

Ron Bontz
08-02-2011, 8:08 PM
To those of you who are well versed with various types of lasers, I apologize for my obvious ignorance. I know there are laser engravers of various sizes as well as lasers that can cut up to 3/4" thick etc. But that is about it. Hence I was wondering if there is a source of much needed information on this subject.

Michael Hunter
08-03-2011, 4:21 AM
Until Dan gets round to publishing his long-promised book, you have found the source already.

A long slog, but if you go through all the posts here, you will find a wealth of info about what can be done (or not) with different powers and types of lasers.

A bit biased, since most posts are about CO2 plotter/raster type machines, but there are a few using galvo (moving mirror) and YAG or Fibre types.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:05 AM
Until Dan gets round to publishing his long-promised book...
I have a two-week cruise coming up in October... hope to crank out some work on it then.

Rodne Gold
08-03-2011, 7:11 AM
Are you crazy....you gonna WORK on a cruise!!!???????????????

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:34 AM
There's plenty of time at sea (I always get a big balcony), and Amy and I don't do many of the on-board activities. Besides, I don't consider stuff like the book "work", or else I wouldn't have started writing it in the first place. I have a mini laptop (one of those 10.1" screen deals) that is perfect carrying in my backpack and using simple text editors (WordPad, et. al.).

Michael Hunter
08-03-2011, 7:40 AM
Yup - he is crazy!

Only two things to do when cruising out of sight of land (well, three, but this is a public forum) :
Eat too much and drink a LOT.

BTW Ron - If your question was a bit more specific, you would probably get more useful answers. What are you hoping to achieve with a laser?

Richard Rumancik
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Ron, please clarify as to the type if laser and the type of info you are looking for. On this forum, most of the members use an enclosed co2 laser. Generally the power is between 25 and 100 watts at the high end. There are a few galvos, open beds, a few YAGs, but not much else. And most of the discussion pertains to low-power co2 lasers.

What is your area of interest? What kind of 3/4" material did you want to cut?

Ron Bontz
08-03-2011, 8:08 PM
Well to begin with my brain is an book of empty pages with regard to lasers. I am of the understanding you can, to some exten,t use them similar to a CNC router. You have all mentioned different types of lasers. I had no idea there were so many different types. Not to mention different power levels. Obviously the cost various quite a bit. A used chevy to a porsch. I was hoping there were some sort of informative source on say... a YAG vs galvos??? Open bed vs closed bed. I am really not looking for a specific task oriented laser. Just trying to satisfy an ocd curiosity to passify my AADD.:)

Martin Boekers
08-03-2011, 8:16 PM
Crazy?! Shoot he may be divorced after the cruise! :D

Martin Boekers
08-03-2011, 8:20 PM
One problem you will run into with cutting thicker things is the beam
as it is focused through the lens is "conical" in shape. So the deeper the cut
the bigger the Kerf.

Now a waterjet, I believe will cut straight.

Dee Gallo
08-03-2011, 8:55 PM
Dan, last time I was on a cruise I brought my notebook and found there was no service... carried it for nothing!

FYI -Royal Caribbean to Bahamas in case it matters

Dan Hintz
08-04-2011, 7:41 AM
Dan, last time I was on a cruise I brought my notebook and found there was no service... carried it for nothing!

FYI -Royal Caribbean to Bahamas in case it matters
My last was on RC, as well... (I think). Wi-Fi is often available in port, or I could tether to my phone (unlimited data... I'll have to check on roaming for my current plan). This one is Norwegian Cruise Lines. Either way, it doesn't matter as I do all of my writing offline. I have folders of info several feet thick, so I'll grab an inch's worth and take with me. I'm considering "open-sourcing" the chapter on machine maintenance (lens cleaning, filtration, etc.) here as it's a topic that comes up quite often.

Rodne Gold
08-04-2011, 9:10 AM
There is internet access on all cruises , slow and expensive if you dont have it as a perk with your "superior" cabin. I dunno, the best thing about a cruise for me is to veg out , switch off , enjoy the food, the day excursions, the quizzes, the sun, the food, the fact you are "not in contact", the food , the company, the food... :)

Richard Rumancik
08-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Ron, you were interested in lasers, not going on a cruise, right?

What I would suggest first is that you get a pdf copy of the "Sealed CO2 Laser Material Processing Technology" manual from Synrad. (www.synrad.com (http://www.synrad.com)). I don't know if this was ever officially published but if you ask customer service they will probably email you a copy. Otherwise PM me.

The second resource that I would suggest if you want a wide range of topics is the LIA Handbook of Laser Materials Processing ed. John Ready. It is TA1677.L53 2001 or 621.36'6. I see it is on sale at
http://www.lia.org/store/Laser Application Resources/105#

For $65 it is a deal and it covers a broad range of subjects.

Those 2 references alone will keep you busy for a while. (Maybe take them on a cruise?)

Ron Bontz
08-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the references.:)

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-08-2011, 1:45 PM
While this forum is a great source of information, I would also suggest poking around youtube and other video sharing sites. While not always the best quality videos, you can still learn a lot and see what all these different types of equipment look like and what they do.

Richard Link
08-08-2011, 3:26 PM
Ron,

You might want to check out the "Laser Lowdown" podcast on itunes. Nice introduction to CO2 lasers.

Richard

Greg Bednar
08-08-2011, 7:03 PM
Perhaps Dan wants to deduct the price of the cruise; hence the "working on a book" ploy. Well done Dan!;)

Dan Hintz
08-09-2011, 6:17 AM
Perhaps Dan wants to deduct the price of the cruise; hence the "working on a book" ploy. Well done Dan!;)
After the bar tab, my accountant would have a heart attack... "You want to claim another $30k business expense?!!!" :D