PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 running HOT.

Jack Gaskins
08-02-2011, 7:49 PM
I have noticed over the past month that my lathes hand wheel and spindle get so hot I cant lay my hand on them for more than a couple of seconds and the heat transfers down my pen mandrel to the live center. I cant put my hand on the motor either as it gets really freakin hot. No noise from the bearings or the motor just heat. I have loosened the belt to make sure I am not overtighting and have very little pressure on the tailstock if any just there to support the mandrel. The ONLY thing that can be generating this heat has got to be the bearings. Or could it be coming from the belt?

John Keeton
08-02-2011, 8:05 PM
Jack, when I bought my Delta there were several creekers that did the same through the sale from ToolNut. At that time, there were a couple of threads on this issue, and some experienced more heat than others. However, I don't recall anyone reporting any functional issues from it. I take it you do not smell anything hot, and if you can touch it, even for a second or so, without burns, then it doesn't seem like it would be hot enough to cause damage.

As I recall, Donny Lawson had a shop fire and his 46-460 came through that without serious damage.

Dan Henry
08-02-2011, 8:39 PM
Jack Loosen the spindle hand wheel set screws and loosen the hand wheel just a little, I think it is a left hand thread, tighten the set screws .I have done this to several Jet mini lathes and the heat is greatly reduced, maybe the left hand thread and the normal rotation cased the wheel to tighten some over time or it was set to tight when assembled.

Dan

Donny Lawson
08-02-2011, 9:43 PM
203964203965Jack, after my shop fire I took my 46-460 apart because of the water and rust situation. Other than that it is still used almost daily and I haven't noticed it getting hot. I mostly use it for pens and smaller projects and use my Jet for the bigger items. Let us know if you get it figured out. Hopefully it is something simple. It kindly sounds like the bearings do not have the required amount of greese and are building up more heat than needed. I know the bearings are sealed but they can go bad. Here is mine after the fire.

Jack Gaskins
08-03-2011, 4:55 AM
I'll loosen the hand wheel a little and see how that goes. Thanks.

Dan Hintz
08-03-2011, 7:04 AM
I know the bearings are sealed but they can go bad.
Yep... the sealed bearings on my bandsaw's upper wheel were toasted after 1 week of intermittent use. I think I tightened them down too much when reassembling (took it apart after delivery to lighten the moving load). A quick trip to Fastenal for new bearings, one to Harbor Freight for a blind bearing puller, and a third to Home Depot for some threaded rod to make a bearing press, I was right as rain ($50 later, of course).