PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ strange tear-out w/ Forrest WWII

Mike Vermeil
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I've been working wood for over a decade now, and just started experiencing a strange tear-out problem I've never had. I installed a new Forrest WWII blade on my Unisaw a week or so ago, and now when ripping (not cross-cutting) maple solids and when cutting with the grain of the bottom veneer of baltic birch plywood, I'm getting quite a bit of tear-out.

I've never had a problem even remotely like this with other blades on my Unisaw. I checked the fence for alignment with the blade & it's good. My zero-clearance insert is not so "zero" anymore, but I don't understand why I should need it any closer when my Frued blade never gave me this type of trouble. In fact, a couple months ago I ripped up a bunch of Maple with the Frued blade with great results.

Any suggestions? Is the WWII known for this type of problem?

Thanks,
Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Mike....I'd check the runout on the new blade.

Michael Ballent
02-19-2005, 1:41 AM
There have been some grumblings around that WWII have not been up to the what they were. I have one and have not seen what you are experiencing... I know that this sounds like a dumb question, but are you sure that you got a combo blade, sometimes the most obvious thing could be the problem.... If the runout is not the problem, contact Forrest to find out what can be done...

Fred Hubert
02-19-2005, 8:24 AM
I've heard of this from new blades in general if the arbor wasn't clean and some sawdust introduced runout on an otherwise good saw/blade combo.

~ Fred