PDA

View Full Version : Got my 10yo in the shop this weekend

Chris Burgess
08-02-2011, 4:38 PM
I got a oldest, Hailey, on in the shop this weekend so she could make her a pen to use for the upcoming school year. I pulled everyhting I had out and she chose a gold slimline w/ Cocobolo. Talk about a proud daddy. One issue I ran into was she wanted some Burn lines on it but I could not get the Cocobolo to burn. Is that normal?

ray hampton
08-02-2011, 5:24 PM
pretty daughter/ the pen not bad either

Joe Mioux
08-02-2011, 5:36 PM
its a lot of fun having a kid show interest in turning. A few years ago, my daughter Jennifer enjoyed hanging out with me. I posted some pictures back then.

Keep encouraging your daughter.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2011, 5:42 PM
Congrats Dad!

Jon Nuckles
08-02-2011, 5:55 PM
That's great to get her in the shop at 10. I missed that window with my son and at 18 he doesn't have much interest in turning. Maybe when he's 35. Congrats on a great experience together!

Donny Lawson
08-02-2011, 9:52 PM
Nice shop time. With the "Natural" oil in the wood it will be almost impossible to make it burn. I've had several woods like that.

Russell Eaton
08-03-2011, 8:53 AM
Chris, last year my daughter asked me to make a Redwood pen for her teacher. I told her he would like it more if SHE made it. She did a great job and I had a good time watching her. I did the finish and we even sent her teacher some photos of her turning it. The kids like to play in the shop with there dads. It is good for both. Your daughter turned a sweet looking pen.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Congrats Chris. That time is precious.

Cory Norgart
08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
That is great that your daughter likes to spend time in the shop. My 11 year old is the same, shes actually a member of our club. Just cant get enough of it:) Im sure you will never forget these times. And great job on the pen Hailey!!!!!!

Jeff Nicol
08-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Chris, That is a great thing, all my kids are grown up and the youngest just turned 22 and she never had any desire to do much of anything in the shop, and neither did the others. My boy liked to do some things as long as I did all the hard stuff, and to him that was just about everything! Now he is a Dad and a husband and it so wonderful to see them grow up and start their own lives. So enjoy every minute you can when they are young, they grow to fast. So now with 2 grandsons coming up I will have a new batch fresh minds to get into the world of wood! Here is a teaser picture of some more of that dreaded Box elder I have started blocking up. Her next project will have to be a little bowl with red stripes in it!

Great smile and nice pen that will be her most prized writing tool,

Jeff

David E Keller
08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Congrats on getting to spend a little quality time with your daughter! Beautiful girl with a really nice pen!