PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue and fumes...

Steve Vaughan
08-02-2011, 3:56 PM
Got a question - I knew that super glue had some nasty fumes as I've used it to fill in small cracks, etc. Today I was filling in a crack in what's going to be a vase with key shavings and super glue. So, I filled the space in with the shavings, packed it in pretty good. Then I started soaking the crack with my super glue. WHEW! That stuff, when you're filling in a pretty good area will burn your eyes and throat, and I could tell right quick, it will KILL YOU! Got a little smoke action, a little heat. Man, I thought I was in chemistry lab 40 years ago!

Well, I got through that fine, all is well, my crack is gonna become a vein of gold in appearance. But I've got a question if/when I go this route again - I've got one of those standard chemical respirators with the standard 3M charcoal cartridges (two of 'em). Will that thing help with these vapors? That is nasty, nasty stuff!

At the very least, not a bad idea to use that stuff with a fan blowing the vapors away from you!

Jon Nuckles
08-02-2011, 4:07 PM
Steve, don't know if you are an AAW member, but the most recent American Woodturner has an article on CA glue by Bill Blasic. There is quite a bit of discussion about the fumes. He suggests using a respirator with a chemical cartridge appropriate for CA or plenty of ventilation. I don't know if the charcoal cartridges are "appropriate for CA" or not. Maybe that plus the fan will protect you? The article also mentions turning into a pocket of uncured CA and the possibility of getting it in the eyes. Since it cures in the presence of moisture, that one scared me.:eek: Another reason to wear a face shield.

John Beaver
08-02-2011, 4:21 PM
I haven't read Bill's AAW article yet. I have been through this discussion with a chemist friend as well as read up on CA glues.
All the information I have seen states that CA is an irritant but not toxic. Apparently the burning in the eyes and throat/sinus is not ultimately bad for you, just bothersome. I'm not confirming this scientifically, only repeating what I have learned.

Scott Hackler
08-02-2011, 4:30 PM
If applying CA while the piece is still on the lathe, I always have the dust collector fired up to pull some of the fumes away. A little fan does wonders as well!

On a related topic, If you ever pierce through a dried section of CA, you will experience the same thing! Very stinky!

Gary Max
08-02-2011, 4:38 PM
Second vote for a well placed fan.

Michael Ginsberg
08-02-2011, 4:40 PM
I know goldsmiths that use CA glue to close up a cracked fingers (hands being washed a lot). I figured that was very toxic. I recently asked my neighbor who is an ER Doc. He said no problem to use. The stuff they use in the ER is the same main ingredients....just sterile.

Tim Rinehart
08-02-2011, 4:57 PM
I think some portion of the unknown is what the makeup of the vapor is. The reaction is not likely just purely CA vapors, but some combination of CA plus whatever it's reacting with. Good discussion, would appreciate all the info we can get from those who are well versed on this topic.

Chris Burgess
08-02-2011, 5:03 PM
+1 on the fan. My lathe is right by the door (open) with a fan blowing straight across the lathe out the door. I use a lot of CA on Pens and small turnings with this setup w/ no issue w/ the fumes.

I also use CA if I cut myself. I little slice on the finger or hand will seal up real quick and last longer in the shop than a shop bandaid (papertowel and electrical tape). I also ripped my pinky nail half off and CA'ed that back on too. CA in my shop is like Franks Red Hot Sauce in the house.....I put that on everything.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

ray hampton
08-02-2011, 5:11 PM
CA may not be toxic but in your eyes and your lids stuck together,what can E R use in your eyes to remove the C A except something that is TOXIC

Tim Thiebaut
08-02-2011, 6:10 PM
When I use it I have my DC set as close to the work piece as I can get it to suck the fumes away from me, and also have a fan blowing at my back, I have gotten a nose full of that stuff before and it hurt my lungs for a day or so....the fact that I smoke dosnt help, but still not good stuff.

shaun gardner
08-02-2011, 6:26 PM
After using CA I was getting so stuffed up I could barely breathe out my nose for almost a week. I went and got a respirator with an organic filter on it. Problem went away and never came back as long as I use that respirator.

Steve Vaughan
08-02-2011, 7:22 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Helpful information and I'm glad that we're not talking toxic waste sort of stuff. Sure smells like it though! Thanks again for all the input!

Michael James
08-02-2011, 7:24 PM
I'd defer to Jim B on this one, but if it burns, it's bad. Any protection is better than none. Exposure to all this is not good for the respitory system and sinuses. Long term has to be deadly (or perhaps make you wish it was). mj

David E Keller
08-02-2011, 8:11 PM
I use a dust collector, and I can't even smell the fumes... Otherwise, it really burns!

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 8:24 PM
DC and a fan is a must.

Steve Vaughan
08-02-2011, 9:19 PM
Yup, I'm gonna do the DC thing next time round. Makes good sense and definitely agree - if it burns it ain't good.

David Gilbert
08-02-2011, 9:43 PM
Recently I was using CA glue to seal and finish some buttons and the CA vapors were pretty strong. My 3M mask with the default charcoal packs was in a drawer (so it wasn't on my face). That night I had a very plugged up nose when I went to bed. After a couple of days my nose was back to normal and when I treated some additional buttons I used my charcoal mask and had no problems. I never got a whiff of the CA and I didn't get a plugged up nose either.

I asked my dermatologist about using CA glue for cracks on my fingers and he said the only thing to watch out for was that some people become allergic to CA. That would be a serious problem for a wood turner!

Cheers,
David

Dave Lehnert
08-02-2011, 10:30 PM
This story goes back about 25 years when I was in a Law Enforcement program.

We were in the lab lifting finger prints off an item. The process involved placing the item in a small tent, then using a CA glue type product placed on a pad, The vapors would fill the tent and stick to a finger print.
The girl I was working with put the glue on the pad and was looking to see what reaction was taking place. She looked a little too close. The fumes welded her contact lenses to her eye ball. She was hurting BAD.

So if you have contacts, be careful.

Keith Westfall
08-03-2011, 1:26 AM
don't know if you are an AAW member, but the most recent American Woodturner has an article on CA glue by Bill Blasic

Any chance of getting this posted on here for the rest of us?

Jim Heikes
08-03-2011, 3:22 AM
As stated several times above, CA is considered to be non-toxic. However it is an irritant to membranes and a small % of users experience sensitizaion from continual exposure. The off gassing is composed of cyanoacrylate monomer released during the exothermic (heat generation) polymerization process.:eek::eek::):)

John McCaskill
08-03-2011, 7:23 PM
When you become sensitive to the fumes, a DC or fan isn't enough (DAMHIKT). The mask with carbon filters is a necessity for me when using CA or anything with VOC vapors. I have found some odorless CA glue, and it doesn't cause me any problems. Most of my finishes nowdays are water based. :)

Jim Burr
08-03-2011, 8:08 PM
CA is an organic compound...a formaldehyde distillate...I really don't remember if it's a phosphate, so the use of a VOC filter in the respirator you are using will stop you from having a surgeon remove your lungs. Fans are great...really, but the stuff is still reacting after you leave the shop. CA will react with almost anything...for some reason; the tannins in paper towels/any wood cause a caustic reaction. If you see it smoke and feel the heat of a reaction, you're busted. The fan will help, but if you smell it, it's was way to late. Several people mention a DC as a solution...really?? The filters are rated at best, 1 micron...CA fumes are not are particulate...they are a reactive gas. A recent article on CA in a magazine was a little off in a quote from an "expert". A NIH study showed that CA in normal form for household purposes was far to reactive to be used for topical use and had to be reformulated to be less reactive due to the high rate of skin reaction.