PDA

View Full Version : Unbeastification

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 3:39 PM
I found out (or figured out or whatever) that I am allowed to change my "Beauty and the Beast" contest entries. And also that the deadline is not August 6th as I thought (brain fart) but September 6th. So I have officially withdrawn my "Beast" entry, the totally unbeastly "Split Personality" :

and I am now working on a much more beastly submission. In truth, I cannot hope to equal, much less surpass, the piece submitted by Jerry Prosise. But I can certainly offer a more beastly piece that this one!

Bill Wyko
08-02-2011, 4:11 PM
David, your work scares me. How in the heck is anyone suppose to stand a chance against your work. You have some incredible skills my friend. If you are discarding that beauty, you cna send it right over here. Good luck in the contest. We all have our work cut out for us.

Chris Burgess
08-02-2011, 4:13 PM
Your right David, you should just send that "Non-Beast" to me and I will dispose of it for you:D:D:D

I am pretty excited to see what you come up with.....Can't wait.

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 4:19 PM
I'm not "tossing" it. just reclassifying it. It is no longer a "beast". It was a crappy beast anyway. Maybe not bad as a "stand alone" piece. But certainly no beast! I had a really good beast going but I messed it up. Fortunately I still have another piece of material for a second shot and now that I have the time, I'm going for a "real" beast!

Scott Hackler
08-02-2011, 4:27 PM
So I'm not the only one who's hopes got squashed when Jerry posted his "Beast", huh?

I guess mine isn't really a "Beast" except for the PITA that is was to make and deal with the broken pieces. I have too much on my plate with a few other projects before SWAT, so there isn't going to be a redo from me. It is what it is. I sure wish the other contestants would hurry up so I can see what everyone else came up with.

David, you have your work cut out for you if your going for a true beastly look. I haven't seen you post anything that comes close to that, yet. :)

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 5:23 PM
"...you have your work cut out for you if your going for a true beastly look..."

I know what you mean. But I have a "beastly" piece of material that should yield something if I can actually manage to turn it. And you are right about Jerry's piece. It is truly "beastly" and will be hard to beat!

Steve bellinger
08-02-2011, 6:12 PM
Yep i agree with ya both. i don't think anyone will beat his beast, but i haven't seen the rest so i'll just what and see. I also would like to change mine, but i have way to much going on to turn something that would come even close to his, or Scotts, or Yours David. Maybe i should just go hide in the woods till this is over.:o

Dick Wilson
08-02-2011, 6:15 PM
Where can one find all these beasts? The beast hunter.

David E Keller
08-02-2011, 6:16 PM
I like the remix, DD. In truth, I liked the original version as well! Beastly is an awfully difficult thing for me plan and turn... I'm stuck on my beast, so I'm walking away for a while. Short of scrapping it and starting over, I don't think it's gonna get any awards.

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 6:35 PM
"Beastly is an awfully difficult thing...(to) plan and turn..."

Yes. But "beastly" does not necessarily mean that the piece actually look like a beast. "Beastly" can represent a "beastly" thought or concept in a literal sense as Jerry has done or it can represent a "beastly challenge" in which case many of the pieces you have posted here would easily qualify. It's all going to come down to the perceptions of those doing the judging. You might be surprised...

Curt Fuller
08-02-2011, 8:05 PM
I'm struggling with the concept of "beauty" and "beast" also. All of the entries I've seen so far are, at least in my mind, beautiful, even Jerry's beast. I think the beast side of the contest is going to produce some really great examples of creativity. Of all the woodturning contests I've seen I think this one has been the most challenging to stretch the imagination.

Cathy Schaewe
08-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I believe the word is actually 'disbeastification.' But what do I know.

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 10:38 PM
"I believe the word is...'disbeastification..."

Actually I think it's debeastification. Or is that disimbeastification?

Michael James
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Well, that's it for me! I'm not looking at anymore entries over there until mine are in. I was ignorantly blissful not seeing
the above mentioned post(s). Off to Disneyworld next week with the kids, and come back and whack it out. Que sera sera.
At this rate of artistic proficiency Im almost a shoo in for the Tormek.....:o

David DeCristoforo
08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
"...Im almost a shoo in for the Tormek..."

Kin I come over and use it?

Michael James
08-03-2011, 12:14 AM
"...Im almost a shoo in for the Tormek..."

Kin I come over and use it?
Should I win it, of course - bring all your tools. I'll throw in some brisket too! :D

Kathy Marshall
08-03-2011, 3:23 AM
Well whatever dis - de - disim - un beastification - beastify - beastificate .....
I like the redo (I liked the original too) and I just don't see any beast in it! Looking forward to seeing your true concept of beastly!