PDA

View Full Version : Interrupting the Flow

Richard Kennedy UK
08-02-2011, 2:07 PM
Enjoying summer? Its http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/smileys/smiley35.gif ing it down here and is freezing - Summer in Scotland eh! This piece is made from Ash its about 110 x 250mm wax finish with a teardrop rim and round bottom wall thickness is about 3mm For fun I tried a gilt interior Camera is out of battery but I will post a pic of that when its had some juice!

Thanks for taking a look your opinions would be great!

Roger Chandler
08-02-2011, 2:24 PM
That is pretty Richard...............I like the teardrop neck............nicely done!

Harvey Ghesser
08-02-2011, 2:29 PM
Very censored creative, Richard! Very nice..

Jon Nuckles
08-02-2011, 2:38 PM
Love the grain and the way the neck follows it. Very nice!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-02-2011, 2:43 PM
Boy Richard,
Cutting the opening into a tear drop took confidence in your wall thickness. It looks perfect from here. Of course, I'm on the other side of the ocean. The weather sounds like a perfect day for Scottish golf. Isn't that why the best rain suits come from there.
Beautiful work, as usual.
faust

charlie knighton
08-02-2011, 4:23 PM
very nice, i like your neck collar following the grain

Cathy Schaewe
08-02-2011, 6:05 PM
I like it a lot -

David E Keller
08-02-2011, 6:21 PM
Very cool, Richard! I love the grain in that piece... Something about the sharp edge of the tear drop and the smooth lines of the grain is a little bit visually disruptive, but I'm not sure what (if anything) I'd have done differently. I don't think following the grain lines for the opening would be as visually appealing as what you've done. I always enjoy seeing your work, and this piece is no exception.

John Keeton
08-02-2011, 8:09 PM
Richard, I agree with Keller on both points - the point of the teardrop seems to fight the growth rings, but then, I think that is what you were after, and it is truly what catches one's eye. So, with that, I would say this is a successful piece!

Perhaps a more catchy title - Flow Interruptus???:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 8:26 PM
Really a great looking piece. Really nice grain and do like the tear drop shaped opening.

Eric Holmquist
08-02-2011, 8:35 PM
I really like the effect. Altering the rim shape with an otherwise conventional shape is very attention getting.

Richard Kennedy UK
08-03-2011, 6:51 AM
Thanks for all your comments I appreciate them how and where to terminate any opening like this is a tricky challenge and something I will have to try out in different pieces in the future I like the effect but probably need to find the right piece of wood for it to truly work! In this instance I guess I did interrupt the flow but it made me think about something new and thats always fun!

Thanks again!

Jim Burr
08-03-2011, 9:26 AM
The grain orientation on this is really great Richard! The grain of ash was a perfect choice for your idea.

Michelle Rich
08-04-2011, 6:37 AM
love the shape & neck treatment...neat piece