PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan

Kyle Stiefel
02-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Good weekend to all,

I was hoping on getting some input on a ceiling fan. I would like to put one in my garage based shop, ceiling height is 11'. My only goal is that the fan is capable of moving a large volume of air. Any thought would be great.

Thanks.

Joe Scarfo
02-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I would get a hunter original .... assuming the place you plan to hang it can take the weight....

Why a cieling fan? I have a fan on a stand I picked up from the orange box for about $100 or so. Changed the 3 way switch for a reostat and now have infinate speeds. I prefer it over a cieling fan.... You can point the airflow.

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa....

John Weber
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Kyle,

I have a ceiling fan in my garage shop with just under 9' ceilings. I bought it to save some floor space where I had the box fan. I love it, the three speed are wonderful, I usually have it on low except for the hotest days, and even in Winter/Spring on those very wet humid days I'll run it to keep the air moving and avoid condensation. I did buy an outdoor fan, has a basically sealed housing and plastic blades, I thought it might help with dust. After about 3 or 4 years it still works great.

John

Kyle Stiefel
02-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Why a cieling fan? I have a fan on a stand I picked up from the orange box for about $100 or so. Changed the 3 way switch for a reostat and now have infinate speeds. I prefer it over a cieling fan.... You can point the airflow.

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa....
Joe,

I do have 2 similar fans around the shop as you described. I enjoy the ceiling fan for the cycling of the air especially in the winter when it will pass the warmer down around the shop, save a few bucks on the bills. The other reason is I just enjoy the movement of air around me at all times.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-19-2005, 8:02 AM
I would either look for an outdoor fan as John suggested or go to an industrial supply house. They will have more heavy duty fans, capable of withstanding the dust that they will encounter. Finally, when you install it, take your time with the weights that they provide. If you get the blades all turning well, the fan will last much longer.

Steve Stube
02-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Kyle,

The other reason is I just enjoy the movement of air around me at all times.<!-- / message -->
Work a little faster:-))

Frank Pellow
02-19-2005, 2:50 PM
I have an inexpensive (about $50) 60" diameter, 4 setting, 3 plastic wing fan as close to my 10' ceiling peak as possible and close to the middle of the shop. I run it at the lowest setting and I find that it really helps to distribute the heat from my wood stove and/or my propane space heater.

Ken Salisbury
02-20-2005, 6:32 AM
60", 4 speed cheapie in the center of my 24' x 24' shop. Run it on low speed most of the time. It has been in place for 12 years. Like the Energizer Bunny - just keeps on turning. :)