PDA

View Full Version : Places to look for tools around Lancaster PA

Bill Haumann
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Any recommendations for shops, markets, or such for old tools (user grade) in or around Lancaster PA?thanks in advance.- Bill

David Weaver
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Adamstown has a bunch of flea markets, they're pretty picked out, though, but there's a lot of them. There is a flea market at the black angus on the weekends, I have not seen it, but they talk it up pretty good. The stuff inside the building, last I was there, was priced for someone other than me.

There's also a big vendor/booth type market outside of lancaster, I think west of it, on route 30. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me. There are some tool booths there, too, some stuff is high, some is about where you'd expect it to be.

george wilson
08-02-2011, 2:31 PM
There used to be 2 or 3 good tool dealers at the Black Angus. They are all gone now. I was there last Summer,and don't recall seeing but 1 dealer out under one of the extended roofs where weekend dealers can drive up and sell their stuff.

Peter Scoma
08-02-2011, 7:10 PM
There are still some good finds to be had in Adamstown, PA, you just need to know where and when to look. Shupps grove has a dealer that is there almost every weekend. He doesnt have a ton of stuff but what he does have is clean and moderately priced. Black Angus has an indoor dealer; very nice stuff just pricey and doesn't budge much. I've bought alot of stuff from the outdoor vendors at Black Angus. One gentleman sells planes and handtools, some restored, others not. Great prices and a heck of a nice guy. I bought a #45 from his a few weeks back for 40$. There is a small antique mall on reading road whose name escapes me at the moment. They have some decent tools and sell at dealer prices. I always grab a few moulding planes from this place, rarely for more than 10$ a piece.

As far as timing. Shupps Grove has a schedule on their website of weekly themes. The last time I went during a "tool themed" weekend, there were more tools than normal and many sellers who really weren't aware of what they had. Now, during the same weekend, black angus had one outdoor wing of just tool dealers. It was the most vintage tools ive seen in one spot ever and I left that day with a truckload of stuff. Ill have to check the date but I believe the next tool weekend is coming up the end of August.

If you are just looking for tools, the following places never seen to carry any whatsoever:
Adams antiques
mad hatter
rennigers
german trading post
and a few others.

Good luck hunting. I love going up to Adamstown in Sundays (o yeah, many places are only open Sunday. Get there early too, no later than 7am).

Matt Sullenbrand
08-03-2011, 8:37 AM
You should check out Joy's Antiques South of Quarryville. Art and Joy Kushner own the store and travel around to lots of tool shows to buy and sell tools. Be sure to call first since they are not always there. 400 Nottingham Road. Quarryville, PA 17566-9650 (717) 529-2693. There are lots of antique shops around Strasburg that have random tools. Most are overpriced, but some interesting stuff anyway. Dan Ludwig is the guy at Black Angus. He has another shop just north of Philadelphia but I haven't been there.

Good luck!