PDA

View Full Version : Sissoo Bowl

Kathy Marshall
08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I told myself I wasn't going to post another of the small bowls for awhile. So much for best intentions lol.
Anyway, I got out the chainsaw to cut up some small blanks, and was going through the woodpile looking for smaller logs. I haven't turned any sissoo for awhile because I had used up the bigger logs that had very much heartwood. The smaller logs all had about a 1" diameter spot of dark wood and the rest was all a creamy color. I figured the lighter wood would still make a nice bowl and might just be a good candidate for dyeing.
So I cut the log into sections, and lo and behold, there was some color! Don't know where it came from, or if it's typical for sissoo logs to darken up with time (they've been sitting since about November), but I can see I'm going to be cutting up some of the bigger logs that had little heartwood! This one is 5 1/2" x 2 1/2" with a coat of DO.

Oh, and I used my new Thompson tools on this one! The 3/8" bowl gouge was just the ticket for the smaller curves!

I've included a pic of another sissoo bowl from Nov. It was from a different tree, but the log looked the same. The only difference is that it was turned within days of the tree being taken down. The lighter one looks the same today as it did when the pic was taken.

203823 203824
203825 203826

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
08-02-2011, 7:39 AM
Amazing difference in color, Kathy! I would leave those logs alone for awhile - I much prefer the warmer, darker color.

charlie knighton
08-02-2011, 7:44 AM
very nice, +1 on darker bowl

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-02-2011, 7:46 AM
Kathy,
In our part of the world, eastern PA, the heartwood will widen into the sapwood for up to a year after the tree is felled. I never heard of Sissoo until your post but apparently it demonstrates some of the same behavior. In any event, these simple bowls show off the beauty of the wood nicely. Isn't that what turning is about?
faust

Russell Eaton
08-02-2011, 8:19 AM
Kathy, that is a great looking bowl. I too had never heard of Sissoo until your post. The difference in color is incredible. Thanks for the lesson.

Roger Chandler
08-02-2011, 8:20 AM
Pretty bowl Kathy..........You really are cranking out the work..........I think you were the one they had in mind when they invented the saying "busy beaver!" All that wood and all those shavings........a herd of beavers could not produce more! :D

Doug W Swanson
08-02-2011, 8:48 AM
That's quite a difference. It doesn't even look like the same wood....

I like them both but the colors on the top one are really neat!

Don Alexander
08-02-2011, 9:26 AM
gotta absolutely love surprises like that

i'm guessing that you won't be dyeing that top one :D:)

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 9:50 AM
Both look great Kathy but do like the dark one.

Cathy Schaewe
08-02-2011, 9:58 AM
Beavers come in herds?

I really like the dark one too -

Roger Chandler
08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=Cathy Schaewe;1752211]Beavers come in herds?/QUOTE]

Just a figure of speech, your Honor! ;)