PDA

View Full Version : finally got a face sheild

curtis rosche
08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
i finally got a face sheild today. i havent really had money for one in the past and after a recent peice coming by and nicking my ear, i convinced my mother she should lend me some money to buy one. so she gave it to me as an early Christmas gift. i got one of these http://www.garrettwade.com/wire-screen-face-shield/p/19R06.01/ it works really nice. its light weight but strong. i dont work with and hazardous woods so i couldnt justify spending a ton of money on one of those all in one sheild respirators.
it cant scrath up as much as a regualar one, and i breathes very nice. i used it today and i didnt even notice i had it on. if its ajusted right you can see everything through the veiw port.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Glad to hear you have a faceshield and are wearing it Curtis.

Dennis Puskar
08-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Very good a face sheild is a must.

Tim Thiebaut
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
I am glad you got one to start useing Curtis, and I really like the looks of this one alot, I bought one that has an anti-fog coating on it.....but it still fogs sure as anything, I may have to grab one of this style for me.

Jim Burr
08-02-2011, 8:28 AM
Nice Curtis...remember, wood doesn't start out dangerous. Make sure you use it!

Roger Chandler
08-02-2011, 8:35 AM
Curtis,

You have invested in your safety and longevity in wood turning.............your eyesight is way more important than the cost of any shield. I am very glad to hear you did this.........make sure you do all you can to avoid breathing in sanding dust as well......you do not want to develop lung cancer in a few years or asthma, because of irritants in the wood.

At minimum, you should have a fan blowing the dust away from you, and preferably an air cleaner, but if you can get the dust blowing where you do not breath it, and use a dust mask you will go a long way towards preventing what I have just described.........you only get one set of eyes and one set of lungs............protect them well my friend!

Norm Zax
08-02-2011, 9:58 AM
I wonder which is safer- the polycarboante or the mesh.The PC will probably be more effective deflecting a projectile and perhaps better stopping a tiny projectile head on as the wire mesh would only have a few single threads stopping it, and the opposite for a larger piece, but Im just guessing. Worth checking for literature on this! Congrats on the buy - anything is better than nothing and yours may turn out to be the real deal.

Michael Mills
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Congratulation on your steps for protection. That said I personally feel the design may give little protection from a blank coming off the lathe. It doesn’t give the safety rating for the lens so I am not sure it even meets the barest minimum (ANSI Z87.1). If you don’t have good safety glasses/goggles also, you may want to take a look at these Dewalts.
http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/dpg59120d_233.html (http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/dpg59120d_233.html) even though they do not say so on this site they do have the + rating (marked on the lens, glass frame, and wings).
These are for 2.0 bifocal but I am sure they have the same in non-bifocal and probably for a lower price. These were about $22 at Lowes or HD. I ordered two pair and with shipping it was still less than $20. Not bad for a + rating.

Greg Just
08-02-2011, 2:00 PM
I agree with Michael. The shield you picked may not provide the protection you really need.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-02-2011, 2:46 PM
For 19 bucks you can have a 3M Polycarbonate shield. They're available everywhere.
faust

Kyle Iwamoto
08-02-2011, 9:49 PM
Also, I usually wear safety glasses with the shield. Chips can bounce off your shirt and into your eyes. Those are mostly a pain, since most of the energy was spent bouncing off the shirt, but still a pain in the eyes. A respirator helps soften the blow when something big hits you in the shield.

As everyone said, you got once set of each. Take care of them.