PDA

View Full Version : Issues Cutting Squares/Boxes - Stopping

Tim Bateson
08-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I have a random issue when cutting squares/boxes. The laser will stop in the lower right hand corner for several seconds, burning the whole time. This happens with boxes I've used for some time and with newly drawn boxes. X/Y location doesn't seem to matter and it happens randomly - lately 3-4 times out of 10.

Craig Matheny
08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Tim I had this issue with some files talked to Epilog tech and they said increase the dpi to 1200 for the cut and it went away. Hope it helps you.

Frank Corker
08-02-2011, 6:14 AM
Craig I think that might be a quick fix, but the fact is that there is a problem there. Tim have you viewed the edge of the box where the problem is in highest resolution and highlighted the area to see if there is a small circle hidden there?

Mike Null
08-02-2011, 6:39 AM
I agree with Frank. Whenever that's occurred I've found the problem to be in the artwork. Sometimes the art has been replicated several times by Corel or by my own keystrokes without being aware of it.

Tim Bateson
08-02-2011, 7:00 AM

It's random - Sometimes it happens & sometimes it doesn't. Attached is the file for the above photo. It's a box I had cut in half.

Larry Bratton
08-02-2011, 1:22 PM
Strange. My assumption has always been that for any cnc machine to cut it had to have a vector toolpath. Did you look at the graphic in wireframe view? I have also labored under the assumption that the dpi setting in the driver had no function in a vector cutting operation...no?

Ed Maloney
08-02-2011, 1:56 PM
Maybe encoder strip needs cleaning?

Michael Hunter
08-02-2011, 1:58 PM
Ah Ha! I don't know what is wrong, but I think I know how to fix it!

I'm fairly sure the problem will go away if you bring the ends of the cutting lines *just* inside the edges of the page.
Not *on* the edges, but a few thou in from the edges.

I have not seen this particular problem, but something a bit similar
What I have seen, is that when a line extends over the top edge of the page, instead of it being cut in one go it gets cut in segments about 1" long and with a pause between segments. It also seems to happen sometimes when the vector is aligned exactly with the edge (using "align and distribute, top left edges"), but not if it is just inside.

Frank Corker
08-02-2011, 6:37 PM
I think Mike is right, you would actually better off drawing a box, putting the text inside of it. Grouping everything together and then click on the box (with text) align objects to top left edge of page. I think where these two lines meet appears to be slightly off. Because the box now aligned the top and left edge will not cut because they are unecessary but the right and bottom will cut exactly.

Craig Matheny
08-03-2011, 3:20 PM
Larry I was under the same but according to the techs at Epilog this is a function that makes changes.

Tim Bateson
08-03-2011, 4:08 PM
Most of my Name Plates are cut using grids where the lines cross outside of the working area with Zero issues. When I'm cutting in a couple one-offs this is my standard setup. This is just one example where I sometimes have an issue. I have had a complete box down lower - top middle, right, left, bottom within the engraving area with the same issue. I think a good cleaning of the encoder strip sounds like the most promising action.

Greg Bednar
08-03-2011, 4:21 PM
FWIW, I'd still keep the grid lines on the page, off the edges and off the rulers. IMHO

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-03-2011, 7:22 PM
I have seen the same sporadic problems with my Epilog Mini 18 45-watt. It didn't matter if the lines were inside or crossed outside of the working area. There were no extra nodes. Because it is so sporadic, I don't know if cleaning specific things or everything resolves the problem or not. I generally keep my laser clean, so once again, it's really hard to determine why this happens or find an object where it consistently happens.