PDA

View Full Version : Why don't potatoes in the grocery stores grow eyes anymore?

Raymond Fries
08-01-2011, 9:29 PM
Hmmmm...

...I never thought about this until I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBEFCiWyW0

Interesting!

What are your thoughts?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2011, 9:49 PM
I don't know but the ones we buy in the store here...will sprout if left too long in our basement......

ray hampton
08-01-2011, 10:16 PM
the potatoes we buy will spout, do they treat potatoes with radiation to stop the spouting ?

Bonnie Campbell
08-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Apparently none of my root veggies are sprayed. They'll all sprout.

Joe Pelonio
08-02-2011, 7:59 AM
I just had one yesterday with sprouts on it, maybe the treatment only delays it.

Rob Cunningham
08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
The bag we just found in the back of our pantry had plenty of eyes sprouting. :eek:

Jim Rimmer
08-02-2011, 1:05 PM
I don't know about potatoes but that is the cutest little girl. What a great smile at the end of the video. ;)

Jeff Nicol
08-02-2011, 6:21 PM
Every bag of taters I buy has some eyes on them and if left long enough they will sprout. In the video those are the largest supposed potatoes I have seen, and the "Vines" growing out of them do not look like any potaoe I have seen. The whole baloney about "Organic" and non-organic is a full blown manipulation of those who think they need to be told what to eat and that other things are bad! They don't look into the fact that most of the so called organic farms use only manure and other natural things to keep the produce fresh and wonderful, but it has been scientifically proven that there is no difference in any nutritional value and you can't tell the difference in what is what in a head to head taste test. It is just a way for people to charge huge prices for something that is not any better, but makes those who think that a Mercedes will get you to the grocery store better than a Hyundai. Just not true, but there is a sucker born every day.

Eat what you want and be happy that we have anything to eat, as others are starving all around the world, and by the way it is going here we will be looking for handouts soon!

Dazed and confused,

Jeff

Belinda Barfield
08-03-2011, 7:16 AM
Bonnie and I must shop at the same tater store. As my friend Linda says, "I don't have the time or the patience to be an informed consumer." I eat what I like (yes even french fries cooked in lard on occasion). I live by my daddy's philosopy that at least I'll die happy. Maybe not smart, but it is what it is.

Phil Thien
08-03-2011, 9:09 AM
Thank God for BudNip. Otherwise the potatoes I eat would probably sprout in my stomach. And we all know what would happen next.

When the little girl got to the point of saying that BudNip travels through the entire potato and there is no way to wash it off, I kinda felt like maybe both she and I were being manipulated a little bit. Perhaps the camera operator has an agenda.

And I'm surprised the produce manager at her supermarket knew about BudNip. Most of the produce managers I've run into are hurried and tired and don't spend their evenings reading articles about produce longevity. Maybe her store's produce manager is some sort of Rain Man.

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Bonnie and I must shop at the same tater store. As my friend Linda says, "I don't have the time or the patience to be an informed consumer." I eat what I like (yes even french fries cooked in lard on occasion). I live by my daddy's philosopy that at least I'll die happy. Maybe not smart, but it is what it is.

Turns out lard is not that bad.... after they got all of us swtiched to shortening with hydrogenated oils in it, turns out that we made a move for the worse rather than better.

Russ Filtz
08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
The whole baloney about "Organic" and non-organic is a full blown manipulation of those who think they need to be told what to eat and that other things are bad! They don't look into the fact that most of the so called organic farms use only manure and other natural things to keep the produce fresh and wonderful, but it has been scientifically proven that there is no difference in any nutritional value and you can't tell the difference in what is what in a head to head taste test. It is just a way for people to charge huge prices for something that is not any better, but makes those who think that a Mercedes will get you to the grocery store better than a Hyundai. Just not true, but there is a sucker born every day.

Jeff

You've missed the whole point with organically grown stuff. Of course there are no nutritional differences. :rolleyes: The whole point is taste. With some veges I definitely can tell from a taste standpoint. Most typical store crap I can pinpoint pesticides right away. They don't even taste lie veges, just chemicals. I spend the extra for carrots, celery, other aromatics lie parsley, cilantro, etc. A few others are notorious for pesticides as well, like apples. Go ahead and keep eating your chemical, pesticide, hormone laced junk. Doesn't hurt me one bit!

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm in the middle on this stuff, my wife is an organic nut. I am not.

At one point I was 100% in the camp of buying whatever was cheapest, period. And being the offspring of farming families, also suspicious of people who slam commercial agriculture habitually. I am somewhere in the middle now, though.

But it is beyond me how most of this board is absolutely nutty about sawdust and some of the members think (with certainty) there really isn't a difference in healthfulness over the long term of modified or chemically treated foods.

We accept without question that radiation is bad and certain sources can be killer with almost 100% certainty, even in small doses (and it is, especially with sources like plutonium, ...). But at the same time, there is belief that anything that is approved for food use has no long term negative affect, simply because it's approved?

That's very naive. I don't know what the truth is in the long run, and it's unlikely nobody here does, either, because it isn't even studied on a lot of stuff if it's not required, but it's very unlikely truthful that chemically treated and modified foods will not turn out to have some negative measurable affects in the long run. Especially things we use (overuse) commonly that have been banned elsewhere.

Look up IGF-1 hormone, and see what you find. The defense of consumption of food that's got an increased level of it is "well, it occurs naturally already, and it'll be about impossible to determine if there is ever tumor stimulation from food sources since it already occurs naturally", though it is well founded that the same hormone is used medically for tumor stimulation. (This is my opinion and interpretation of what I've read, obviously, as i'm not an expert. The only reason I read in the first place is because I was chiding my wife for not buying the cheapest milk she could find, and she brought this topic up and I wanted to prove her wrong by researching - and I could not.)

Reading about rBGH and rBST in general on wiki and their sources should give anyone pause. For a while, thanks to lobbying, it was *illegal* here to even inform consumers regarding whether or not it was used. Why? The company pushing the products convinced the legislature that consumers *would be confused* if they had choice.

George Carlin ( not endorsing the guy across the board, he says plenty of stuff I don't like, but..) has several skits on youtube that describe very well how people operate when money is involved.

There is a chance that there will be significant reform in approval of chemical use in the US in the not too distant future. It will be interesting to find out how many things that we just pass off has unknowns change to "well, that's bad". It's unfortunate that we can't get an honest discussion about how thing are studied, labeled, etc, because it immediately becomes easy to tag everyone with a political label if they go a certain way on an issue. And it shouldn't be, nor should any of my post be considered to go one way or the other - it's not a political issue, it's an issue of what's the right answer, and why are we so loose about figuring it out and so ready to come to a conclusion 100% one way or the other?

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Of course there are no nutritional differences.

It is an extreme logical loophole to assume that a test that measures nutritional content can do anything to determine food safety short term or long term.

David Weaver
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Thank God for BudNip. Otherwise the potatoes I eat would probably sprout in my stomach.

You'd have a tail!!

I'm still waiting for watermelons to sprout out of my ears (my mother often told me that if I ate watermelon seeds, they would sprout in my stomach and grow out of my ears - I was too lazy as a kid to spit them out).

ray hampton
08-03-2011, 3:03 PM
what about the taste of the potatoes , do they taste better or worst

Phil Thien
08-03-2011, 6:57 PM
what about the taste of the potatoes , do they taste better or worst

I have it on good authority that, if you slice them and then deep fried, that they're delicious whether they are organic or non.

But I would suggest you check that.

Raymond Fries
08-03-2011, 9:03 PM
If we could afford to eat all Organic we would; We just do not trust the safety of consuming chemicals. Do you ever see studies proving the safety of them? Who wants to sign up for a study to prove a substance causes cancer? Nobody...

There is no escaping toxins in this world and people have different immune systems. We do what we can to avoid those foods which contain the most, peal some and move on. We got started trying to consume cleaner when we installed a Reverse Osmosos water system and my wife's Fibromyalgia went away. There is something in our water which is sold as "Safe" by our local utility. We believe flouride after research but cannot say for sure.

Organic or not - eat well, sleep well, and have lots of energy for the wood shop.

Lloyd Kerry
08-03-2011, 9:51 PM
The fluorescent lights in the grocery stores blind the potato eyes!

Jeffrey Makiel
08-04-2011, 3:31 PM
Why would you want your potatos to have eyes? Would it not bother you to have them looking at you while you cut them up?
Jeff :)

Belinda Barfield
08-04-2011, 3:41 PM
Don't bend over in the garden Granny, you know them taters got eyes. (Lewis Grizzard)

Bill Cunningham
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Just like the Omega3 eggs.. You would have to eat dozens, to get the same amount of Omega3 found in a piece of salmon. Then, there are those that 'really' think there is a difference between brown and white eggs..
And what about coffee? is it bad for you 'this week'?

ray hampton
08-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Just like the Omega3 eggs.. You would have to eat dozens, to get the same amount of Omega3 found in a piece of salmon. Then, there are those that 'really' think there is a difference between brown and white eggs..
And what about coffee? is it bad for you 'this week'?

there is a different between brown and white eggs ,maybe as much as 1 dollar a dozen
I not sure about coffee but black tea contains Aluminum if my news source are accurate-true-honest