PDA

View Full Version : Elm Bowls

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2011, 7:04 PM
Lastly this week I also turned 2 Elm bowls. These are already spoken for. They wanted them to put dinner rolls in, salad or when they make a big bowl of popcorn. They are 13" X 5". Finished with Antique Oil. Don't know why but it reversed the 2nd and 3rd pictures of the bottoms.

Marty Eargle
08-01-2011, 7:33 PM
Those are some good, beefy looking bowls. And that grain is really nice. I've yet to turn any elm, but I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on some after seeing these.

Antique Oil is really giving you some good finishes, gotta remember to find myself some this week.

Roger Chandler
08-01-2011, 7:34 PM
Man, I am liking that finish.........isn't that the same as the oak bowl you posted a few days ago?

David E Keller
08-01-2011, 7:43 PM
This is the look I strive for with utility bowls, but your finish is much nicer than what I've been able to achieve... Did you buff these beauties, Bernie?(Try to say that three times fast)

charlie knighton
08-01-2011, 8:05 PM
thanksgiving biscuit bowls, very nice

John Keeton
08-01-2011, 8:14 PM
Bernie, the production turner!!! Go, Bernie, Go!!!! Another couple of beauties.

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks again. Roger these do have the same finish as the oak. I wet sanded these on the lathe with Antique Oil. I lay a old ironing board cover on the bed to keep it clean.

David I have found with woods like Oak and Elm that wet sanding works extremely well and give a nice surface. I wet sand them starting at 220 grit up to 400 grit keeping the surface wet with AO. Then I burnish with curlies or if they are dust like Elm is when dry I use a paper towel to burnish the surface. I then give it two light coats off the lathe using a piece of old T-shirt folded up with AO and it is a light coat. I don't wipe it off. I rub the surface with synthetic wool then give it one more coat with the T-shirt.

Jim Burr
08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Looks like ice cream time! Yeah, I know...but I like a lot of ice cream! Beautiful wood Bernie!

Robert Newton
08-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Beautiful! I have been told elm can be a good wood to turn but have not tried yet.

Kathy Marshall
08-02-2011, 1:12 AM
Those are some nice bowls Bernie! Nice color and grain too!

Russell Eaton
08-02-2011, 8:37 AM
Bernie, sweet bowls. Thanks for the how too on the AO finish. I was going to ask the same question as David. I have 2 Elm logs at the house ready to cut and turn. I just want a cool morning to fire up the chain saw.

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 9:54 AM
Thanks again. Russell you are welcome.