PDA

View Full Version : Cored Bowls

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2011, 6:59 PM
Here is a set of 3 bowls I cored from a Elm blank that has been sitting for about a year. I am using the Oneway Coring system and it is the second set I have cored. They are 12" X 4", 9" X 3" and 6" X 2". All finished with Antique Oil with one more coat to go.

David E Keller
08-01-2011, 7:47 PM
You're a turning machine, Bernie! Looks like they nest very nicely!

Steve Vaughan
08-01-2011, 7:54 PM
That's a great looking set of bowls! Ya make me wanna find me a big ole piece of wood to try to core...emphasis on try.

Pete Jordan
08-01-2011, 7:54 PM
Way to go Bernie!
It sure beats all those shavings on the floor.

Jeff Nicol
08-01-2011, 7:57 PM
Bernie, Coring is a fun thing to do and I love to get as many as I can out of a blank when I decide to core them. I have never cored any of my elm yet but I will have to give it a try.

Retirement seems to agree with you!

Jeff

charlie knighton
08-01-2011, 7:58 PM
nice set of bowls Bernie, thanks for sharing

John Keeton
08-01-2011, 8:16 PM
Bernie, you did good! I just turned a bowl from a piece of dry elm - sure was dusty, and it seemed that it tended to chip out on fine edges. Perhaps it was just the chunk I had. It was bone dry.

Scott Hackler
08-01-2011, 8:21 PM
Alright thats it, I am going to have to go out and try my new (sencond hand) McNaughton system!

Nice nested set, Bernie.

Robert Newton
08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I need to get a coring tool, heard of them but never tried one. Any suggestions on purchase.

Bernie Weishapl
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks all. I have about 40 walnut blanks waiting and hopefully will get at least a minimum of two from each blank.

Pete it surely does beat the shavings for sure.

Robert I have the Oneway system and I think out of all of them has the shortest learning curve although the woodcut might give it a run for it's money.

Kathy Marshall
08-02-2011, 1:25 AM
Thats a really nice set of bowls Bernie! I see a coring system making it's way to my shop sometime in the fall! But for now, I'm gonna have to get crackin if I hope to have any chance of keeping up with you! :D

Rick Markham
08-02-2011, 3:34 AM
Those are super nice Bernie! Beautiful Elm. Coring is something I would like to try someday.

Donny Lawson
08-02-2011, 6:45 AM
Great looking set of bowls. Looks like the coring system sure adds to more bowls.

Michelle Rich
08-02-2011, 7:30 AM
great wood Bernie, glad you got 3 pretty bowls from it..

Tim Rinehart
08-02-2011, 8:34 AM
Pretty cool Bernie. I like elm and anything that cuts down on chips! Nice work. Is the rim treatment I see on one of the pics on all 3 pieces? Looks like it makes the bowl easier to hold.

Tony De Masi
08-02-2011, 8:49 AM
Nice work there Bernie. Haven't ever tried any of that coring stiff myself but you seem to have the bugs worked out. Now get to that cherry will ya!!

Keith E Byrd
08-02-2011, 8:59 AM
Bernie, Great bowls - I keep thinking about getting a coring system whenever I see 2 or 3 could of been bowls laying ina oile of shavings!
I just checked out the Oneway coring system on their website - there are four sets of knives you can get but it only says the knives determine the size of bowls you can core. Can you give more info than that?

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 9:53 AM
Thanks again. Tim yes the rim treatment is the same on all. Tony the cherry is a coming.

Cathy Schaewe
08-02-2011, 9:56 AM
Great job, Bernie! I haven't gotten more than two out of a blank with my set yet, but I have some thicker blanks that I hope to get three or more out of. Sure is nice not to waste that wood!

Keith - if you go to CSUSA's website, and look at the oneway coring system info, it gives the range of sizes you can get with each knife set. Personally, I found the best price at Hartville tools, at one of their sales.

Phil St.Germain
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Bernie,

Nice job. Coring is the way to go. I just bought the Woodcut system. Within an hour of fedex dropping it off, I had cored my first set of three. Learning curve is next to nothing. I have found that I can rough out as quickly as I can core, but I don;t get three bowls to a blank that way.

For anyone thinking of investing in a coring set up, I highly recommend it. If for no other reason than alot less clean up after a turning session and alot more bowls.

Phil

Bernie Weishapl
08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks again Cathy. I do like the thought of less chips on the floor and more bowls.

Keith since I have a 16" lathe I only went for 3 knives. #1 cuts from 5" to 9 1/2" bowls, #2 cuts from 9 1/2" to 12 1/4" bowls and #3 cuts from 13 1/2" to 15" bowls. I didn't see a need for #4 since I can't go that large anyway.

Jon Nuckles
08-02-2011, 2:24 PM
Nice looking nested set! 3 bowls would be a nicer result than my current 1 bowl and a 55 gallon garbage can full of shavings. Need to hide the credit card until the urge passes.:eek: