PDA

View Full Version : bearings in Stanley 244 miter box?

Acharya Kumarswami
08-01-2011, 1:59 PM
I recently bought a 244 miter box and in learning how to tune it up and adjust it, I ran across the old papers for it on the web by stanley stating that the saw guide cylinders have bearings in them. My cylinders have no actually bearings. Does anyone know about this, whether there are supposed to be actually ball bearings inside those two-halved cylinders that slide up and down the main rod pairs? Actually, I have a hard time visualizing how bearings would even fit inside there. Help!

Joe Bailey
08-01-2011, 6:27 PM
I recently bought a 244 miter box and in learning how to tune it up and adjust it, I ran across the old papers for it on the web by stanley stating that the saw guide cylinders have bearings in them. My cylinders have no actually bearings. Does anyone know about this, whether there are supposed to be actually ball bearings inside those two-halved cylinders that slide up and down the main rod pairs? Actually, I have a hard time visualizing how bearings would even fit inside there. Help!

The reference is to roller bearings. You will find one affixed to each half of the casting pairs (a total of four). The bottom edge of your mitre saw's spine will sit atop these.
see also: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodworkforums.com%2Fattachme nts%2Ff152%2F133045d1269433442-stanley-246-mitre-box-stanley-mitre-box.pdf&ei=FCc3TrStNMLFgAel0bmAAg&usg=AFQjCNFyA4TNOTEc4MmTIfkTQO9USaNsCw

harry strasil
08-01-2011, 6:28 PM
if its anything like a 358, there is just a metal roller on a pin, and an occassional drop of light oil is all that is needed.

Acharya Kumarswami
08-01-2011, 6:31 PM
They are definitely missing on this unit. Any ideas.
Anyone have the specs on them. Perhaps they can be made from available supplies, or there is a source for replacements?

Joe Bailey
08-01-2011, 6:41 PM
Just want to make sure - here's the part to which we are referring:203757

harry strasil
08-01-2011, 6:46 PM
I just measured mine, they are .375 diameter 3/8 inch diameter and .125 thick 1/8 inch.

harry strasil
08-01-2011, 6:55 PM
there is a 358 for sale on that auction bay place, has 1 day and 6 hrs left, no bids yet, starting bid is $24.99, its in Pennsylvania. I think the guides are identical.

Jonathan McCullough
08-01-2011, 9:13 PM
Acharya,

I have a Stanley 358 miter box. The bearing mechanisms in the guides are really very complicated. The bearings themselves are disc shaped. There's an axial hole in it, not unlike the hole in a washer, and another axial recess, so that a fillister head screw sits flush in the recess. This screw is short and it has an exaggerated taper toward the tip, and the thread on the screw is unlike any other I've ever seen.

I had to replace one of the bearings, and had to make a new one with a lathe. The good news was I had a metal lathe, the bad news is that the motor wasn't hooked up yet. Luckily it was a small piece and I was able to do it by hand. Stanley didn't have the bearings but they did have the screws at one time. No other screw will fit the 358, and they pop out easily. I don't know if the 244 has a similar bearing setup.

Acharya Kumarswami
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Here is a photo of the inside of one of the cylinder halves on the 244. There are no screw holes or places for bearings.
That's odd considering what the literature says about models from 200 and up. It appears by the signs of wear that the saw spine has been riding on the cylinder housing itself for many years. It does work smoothly though. Maybe this is how it was made???

Joe Bailey
08-02-2011, 1:49 AM
Here is a photo of the inside of one of the cylinder halves on the 244. There are no screw holes or places for bearings.
That's odd considering what the literature says about models from 200 and up. It appears by the signs of wear that the saw spine has been riding on the cylinder housing itself for many years. It does work smoothly though. Maybe this is how it was made???

This much is obvious; there is no sign of the recesses in the outer curvature of the castings for the bearing axle to attach to. (see my pic, above)

Acharya Kumarswami
08-02-2011, 3:21 AM
I have a chance to get a 358 in really nice restored condition but am debating whether to wait for a langdon. As an owner of a 358 what would you advise? I sharpen saws, so that side of the issue is covered. Thanks!

harry strasil
08-02-2011, 10:29 PM
the surfaces where the saw back rides on the guides is considered a bearing surface. As the owner of 2 358's, one that I use often and another for parts, to me you can't get a much better one than a 358, extremely accurate, and many adjustments to line up the saw itself. Just my 2¢ worth.

Acharya Kumarswami
08-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Thank you, Harry, for the assurance. Actually the 244 I have now is pretty nice and works well. It appears that it never had any roller bearings, but the 358s do have them, as you mentioned earlier.
With more research I am beginning to think that one of the main differences between the Stanleys and the Langdons is in the way the saw is held up when at rest and how it is adjusted to make cuts of controlled depths. Because the Langdons don't (as far as I can see) have a top spanner bar, the supports are likely more substantial. I hope everyone will fill in and correct me if I am wrong.