PDA

View Full Version : Pictues in posts

Jerome Hanby
08-01-2011, 1:15 PM
Since it appears that many users are just not going to upload their pictures here (seems like this has become much more of an issue since the forum updates...), what about you guys coming up with a utility to process all new posts and download all external pictures and update the links. Or maybe go the easy route and change the terms of service to require all pictures be uploaded. I'm sure I can't be the only one whose "firewall' blocks many public pictures hosting sites.

Keith Outten
08-02-2011, 5:13 AM
Jerome,

Aaron and I discussed the idea of him creating a script that would transfer a copy of any pictures that were linked to posts here a long time ago. I decided that we would not grab pictures without permission because they don't belong to us, if fact we don't assume ownership of anyone's pictures that are uploaded here as many hosting sites do.

The new uploading utility here requires some patience to learn but it is much more versatile and it makes it easy for you to manage and use your pictures in multiple threads.

We archive threads here because the information is valuable to everyone and we believe that the next generation of woodworkers should be able to benefit from the vast number of hours people have spent sharing their woodworking knowledge. It is unfortunate when you research a topic, find threads that are exactly what you need and then find out that all the pictures are broken links and gone forever. This can be solved by uploading pictures to our server so they will be here for everyone to enjoy.

Jerome Hanby
08-02-2011, 7:58 AM
I completely understand about not automatically grabbing the pictures, I really just mentioned that to be complete. I thought the bit about changing the TOS to "require" all pictures to be uploaded here was more practical. I put "require" in quotes because I doubt it would be necessary to rigidly enforce the policy, just a reminder when you notice an infraction would take care of the problem with most folks I've seen posting here.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-02-2011, 9:31 AM
Jerome.....no offense. I have serious doubts about whether or not most members read the TOSs.

Jerome Hanby
08-02-2011, 9:40 AM
No offense taken, I'm sure they don't. But I'm also pretty sure they catch reminders like the ones about posting links to other forums. A few of those here and there (and a bunch of tech support postings trying to figure out how to upload properly) and I think the external picture issue would pretty much vanish.

Jim O'Dell
08-03-2011, 9:34 PM
Keith is right about a small learning curve on the new picture uploading, but I really like being able to re-post old pictures without having to point to the previous thread and post. Very well worth the few minutes to learn the new procedure!!! Jim.