PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Juried

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-01-2011, 9:15 AM
Can anyone tell me the definition of a "Juried" show as versus one that is not. I thought is had to do with having your items pass a governing body for that particular show but someone told me it is a state certification. We are considering putting up one of our large tents and inviting local artists to sell in the space and during conversation this term came up.
faust

charlie knighton
08-01-2011, 9:18 AM
I thought is had to do with having your items pass a governing body for that particular show

that is correct, there is no certification, just whoever running the show decides who is the jury

Tony De Masi
08-01-2011, 9:19 AM
I have never heard of it as a State Certification. I've had the same impression as you, meaning for a particular show/event.

Alan Trout
08-01-2011, 9:21 AM
Every Juried show I ever entered was a competition which prizes were awarded. Could be cash or just an award. So essentially it means that your piece or pieces are judged. I am part of an art gallery that had to be selected by a jury to be accepted into the gallery.

Here is the definition. A committee, usually of experts, that judges contestants or applicants, as in a competition or exhibition; a panel of judges.

Good Luck

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
08-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Faust,

When I have entered a juried art show, the juror picks those works of art according to what they envision for the kind of show they are piecing together. I have been in shows where there have been awards and also in juried shows where the only award you get is the honor of being included!

We also have a large arena here in Marquette (The Dome) where they hold craft shows. The vendors pay for a booth space and are juried in - meaning they have to be from the Upper Peninsula and only the artist can man the booth. That weeds out commercial businesses that just follow the crafts show circuit!

Jamie Donaldson
08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
There are some states that have sponsored organizations, like the KY Arts Council here in KY, which then developed the KY Craft Marketing Program. To qualify for membership you must first be a KY resident, then be juried in to participate in sponsored events like the big annual wholesale/retail Craft Market Show at the State Fairgrounds in January. Other organizations like the KY Guild of Artists and Craftsmen are member managed, and have very high quality jury standards for membership and show participation. Most shows are juried to have the highest level of quality art/craft available, and to weed out buy/sell junk not personally made by the person selling at the show. The jury process used to be done by invited "experts" viewing slides submitted by applicants, generally 4 of products and 1 of your booth set-up. Today many jury sessions are conducted "digitally" with image files of products and booth, including Zapplication and other centralized methods. Membership into the KY Guild is now about the only organization I know where jurying requires submission of the actual work for jury admission, and we also have a mentoring program to assist those who are very close to the quality level for membership.

Jack Davis 2
08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
The correct answers are stated above.... It is when a committee decides if your work is worthy of their show, and also if it fits their show model. Many times items might be of high quality and still not accepted because of overweight in a particular. If the show is hoping to portray utilitarian turnings, artistic pieces might not be of interest, or vise versa. Almost all larger shows are juried, as when they should be if you expect a nice returning crowd the next year.

Gary Max
08-01-2011, 1:14 PM
If you apply to a show that is hurting for Vendors---------the first thing they do is see if your check is good. Sadly the term Juried show has very little meaning these days.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-01-2011, 2:59 PM
Thanks gents. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I may be back with additional questions.
Faust

John Keeton
08-01-2011, 3:44 PM
Faust, as a follow up to Jamie's information, you may want to review the application for admission into the KY Arts Council. It is available at http://artscouncil.ky.gov/guide/prog9/KyCrafted_gdl.pdf

The application contains a very good description of the type of information sought by a jury panel, the criteria, and process of adjudication.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-01-2011, 5:28 PM
John,
Thanks for the download. I will study it.
Faust