PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2011, 8:35 AM
1 Aug 2011

Good Morning,
Well, it's bee crazy hot here and I was able to get our family doctor's wood project done this past week. I just wish he would learn to bring my his best wood and not whatever wood he can find. It would save me a lot of time and effort. Needless to say that my DC got used, along with my jointer, tablesaw, air compressor, and my fan. My A/C units are bad and I need to replace them one of these days. Went in the shop last night at 8 PM at the temp in my shop was 107º F. All I have to say is....come on fall..!!!!!

Finally got the photographer photo's in of my daughter's wedding. I've uploaded some of them to my Facebook page.

Well, I need to cut this short today as I have to work at the day job today, even though it's my normal day off, I still have to work.

So...that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend.??

Best of weeks to you all.

Jerome Hanby
08-01-2011, 9:05 AM
I replaced two more casters on my (actually my Dad's, but I don't think it's ever going back:D) folding shop crane. That brings the total of replaced casters to four (although one of the last pair was replaced to make them match, not because it was broken). Cleaned/waxed the table and fence of the Boice Crane Jointer my wife bought me at the thrift store. I'm getting a little snipe on the trailing end, so I suspect the blades and out-feed table are not perfectly aligned. Replaced the Harbor Freight mobile tool stand (the kind where you cut your own hard wood side and end pieces) on my planer with a piece of plywood and a set of Kreg casters. Of course. nothing goes smoothly and I had to apply some L brackets to secure the planer's stand to the plywood, but end result is great. I did the table saw previously and now, I can setup in the driveway (since it's ~100 degrees here and in the garage is no place to be) without a huge hassle setting up before I start and putting up after I finish. Those "normal" mobile stands just don't have enough clearance for my environment. Need to come up with something for the Jointer,still thinking about that one. Replaced the casters on my Shopsmith with the spares I bought years ago and never used. The original wheels were just about eaten away entirely, just rolling on the hubs. Wish it had a little more clearance, but it's much better than before. Cut and planed the rails (poplar) for the router dado jig I need for a "doll house" book case project I need to get build for a friend. Hopefully I'll get that jig finished by end of Tuesday evening and get the book case cut out before the weekend. Stocked up on dust collection fittings at Woodcraft (there current big sale) and ordered a Shark Guard with the pawls and the 4" vacuum connection. Also ordered something called "The Boot (http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/product_info.php?products_id=88)" from the Sawshop. If it works as described, it should be just what I need to finish "dust proofing" my contractor saw. Finally finished my wife's lathe stand, but now we can't lay hands on the lathe manuals, so I tracked them down online and downloaded them for her. Found her a couple of Osage Orange bowl blanks for a project she's been planing (with the assumption that she wouldn't have to kill me for not finsishing her lathe setup). I haven't spent any time analyzing the end result, but I do have two observations about the Oneida Dust Deputy. One, it is sure cool to watch the stuff swirling around and two, my shop vac just doesn't suck hard enough. With the larger diameter hose and the Deputy in line, it doesn't have much oomph when I disconnect it from the planer to clean up around the feed tables.

David Nelson1
08-01-2011, 9:17 AM
Chores, chores and more chores. Re-stacked the shop to get the bike and tractor in and off to Reno for a week with the daughter. That was more work getting ready to go on vacation then the vacation will be. LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2011, 9:30 AM
Continued working on the oak entertainment center.

Need to make another materials run to Moscow today.

Got a lot done and it required a lot machining....jointing, ripping, resawing, made some jigs .......still a lot to do.

This is my first design. I made one fairly large mistake in the design and was able to recover and not have to throw out $150 worth of oak plywood.

David Hostetler
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Been laid up with an on and off migraine all weekend. I did manage to get the back yard mowed though. We had a guest speaker at our church this weekend talking about the prison ministries. Pretty good talk actually. If you haven't heard Victor Marx speak, even if you aren't a Christian, you ought to at least hear him out. He is plenty funny, and really motivational...

I did most of the cooking this weekend, I made a meat loaf and veggies for Saturday, and Brat Kartoffeln mit Kraut for Sunday... It's okay, Wednesday night LOML is making Teriyaki Beef with stir fried vegetables... I would MUCH rather not do that one... I love eating it, but I HATE cooking Asian dishes... Too involved.

We had a shipment arrive on Thursday, for something I had been needing. A new barebones PC, Quad core AMD chip, 8GB RAM, and 2 @ 1TB hard disks... I am working on my RHCE for work, and needed a system powerful enough to run KVM virtualization. My old 32 bit boxes just won't do it... Any way, LOML is working on getting her A+, so we made her put it together, configure the BIOS and load Windows 7 Pro into it (dual boot Windows 7, Scientfic Linux 6 both 64 bit). Found some issues with Adobe plug ins in the 64 bit environment, but no big deal... I also got KVM up and working, and loaded my first VM, Scientfic Linux 6, 64 bit, 1 CPU and 1GB RAM... Not the best specs, not the worst... Certainly faster than my old 32 bit physical box....

I have been using various flavors of Linux / UNIX for decades, and Windows since 3.0, and both of these new releases are VERY well polished, and simple to install and use. I am a bit confused by the Aero UI, because it behaves FAR more like GNOME than Windows... I need to shake off the old Windows mind set and just figure this out... I might just have to update my MCP as well for Windows 7, and Server 2008...

Due to the headache, very little shop time this weekend. I do have a project I have put off far too long that I am starting on, and have selected just the right lumber to work with. I am wanting to build a Walnut / Maple urn for my beloved Labrador Retriever Deacon. LOML and I both really miss that dog... He passed on last May, and while we have a new pup that is great, the two are very much nowhere near the same... Deacon was a mellow, stick close to you just happy to have his belly scratched kind of dog. Brody is 24x7 activity, TONS of energy, and always investigating everything.... Good thing the neighbor across the way has a young pup that likes to play with Brody...

I need to do some face jointing tonight, and at least get the stock I selected to S2S, let it acclimate that way, then take it S4S over the weekend... Really just to work with my schedule...

Billy Trinh
08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Went to the santa cruz beach boardwalk with my wife and daughter on saturday. Mommy started looking for a sandbox yesterday so i built a quick one last night.

Matt Meiser
08-01-2011, 1:09 PM
I spent all week last week in St. Louis at the office working very long days. Flew back Friday night. Saturday morning I picked up our newly adopted dog and spent most of the afternoon working in the shop while the girls went to a wedding shower near Cleveland. I figured out my drying racks, got them partly built, and figured out my mistakes so I could redo part.

Saturday night didn't get much sleep due to staying doing home IT support (service packs and updates on 4 computers!) to the new pup not wanting to stay in his crate like he did at his foster home so Sunday was a slow day with little achieved except for some errands and dinner at my parents'.

Weekend continues into today--taking comp time due to last week's schedule. I'm planning to finish the finishing room up so I can get back to some woodworking.

Charles Wiggins
08-01-2011, 1:36 PM
I an STILL trying to get the shop set up. This weekend a crossed off one major milestone. After two false starts and several trips to the Blue BORG and Ace, the lumber rack is mounted on the wall! (Pics are still in the camera) Lessons learned? Lag shields don't work well in blocks with voids and toggle bolts are a PITA if you don't plan ahead and make sure you will hit the void in each block. Now I have to figure out what to do with my short scraps and I can start setting up tools.

Tim Cottle
08-01-2011, 3:17 PM
Knocked staples out of 506 LF of reclaimed wide plank hardwood SOMETHING that I am going to install in my living room.
The seller claims it was hickory, but I have my doubts, it would not be the 1st lie.. When I bought it, he claimed that 240 SQ feet was as 800 SQ ft. Buyer beware...
SWMBO is being pretty understanding that only 1 room is going to be redone, instead of 3...

Peter Scoma
08-01-2011, 5:58 PM
On Friday I responded to a Cl ad selling 17 handsaws for 80$. About 13 of them turned out to be Disstons; several 8's 9's and 10's. There are also a few atkins and superior warranted saws in the bunch definitely worth restoring. Of course there are a few junker crafstman saws in the bunch but I think I did pretty well for 80$.

I can't seem to find much info on the #9 so if anyone reading this is a disston expert feel free to chime in. Most of what I know comes from the disstoninstitute website.

PJS