PDA

View Full Version : Oops! What did I do wrong?

Carole Valentine
02-18-2005, 3:40 PM
After watching Bill G's video about 4 times, I finally got up the nerve to try a bowl out of a chunk of paulownia (only thing I had thick enough). Turned the outside and turned a tenon to fit my Nova Midi, chucked up the bowl and started on the inside. I got a very small catch and the tenon separated from the bowl at the shoulder. :(The tenon was about 2" in diameter. What did I do wrong? Does this happen often with soft woods? The paulownia is very soft and "pithy"...tools that cut other woods smooth as silk still leave this stuff fuzzy as heck. Some folks use it to turn, and I suppose it would be better green, but I didn't think much of it.

Charlie Schultz
02-18-2005, 5:06 PM
I was in a class a while ago and we were turning some birch that was in the same shape as what you were turning (the instructor called it "punky"). Anyway, one of the students had the tenon break off and the instructor recommended soaking the tenons with lacquer or CA glue to strengthen the area before mounting it. Making sure it fits flush with the chuck also adds support.

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2005, 6:24 PM
Carole, when I get into something soft or punky like bad spalted wood I use a small faceplate and even put CA glue in the hole with the screws. I have had to many tendons break off and bowls fly away which can be hazzerdous to my wife's husband's good looks. Be careful out there!

Carole Valentine
02-18-2005, 6:32 PM
Glenn, I am such a chicken...this was my first attempt at a bowl and I had the lathe on it's lowest speed, so the bowl just sort of fell off when it broke!:o I don't think the wood is rotten, it's just a naturally very soft wood. I need to go out and get some green poplar or something to start with. Got to get over this thing I have about chainsaws...looks to me like a turner without a chainsaw might as well go back to flat work!

Andy London
02-18-2005, 7:40 PM
Carole, we turn a lot of spalted woods that at times have soft spots, use your tail stock as long as possible then just cut the nib pole thing off at the end...works like a charm. If you have the Oneway live centre, use the cone which will give you some extra elbow room.

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2005, 7:52 PM
Carole, you do not have to use a chainsaw. Get a couple of steel wedges and split the log into halves. You can even make your maul or big wooden hammer with your lathe. Use a bandsaw if you have one.

Carole Valentine
02-18-2005, 9:28 PM
And here I thought when I got my gas fireplace 5 years ago, my days of swinging a maul were finally over! :D Guess I'll have to see if I still have it and the wedges somewhere. I have a feeling I lost wedges in the divorce, and the maul could have gone in a yard sale! I do have a 14" bandsaw with riser.

Carole Valentine
02-18-2005, 9:33 PM
Andy, I am working with a Jet mini. It's really hard to get the tailstock close enough to use a live center. Be nice if there were some sort of extension or extra long center available so the base of the tailstock was not right up against the banjo.

Robert Cox
02-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a catalog with extensions in it.

I'll keep my eye oout for it but it may be woodworkers supply

Carole Valentine
02-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Let me know if you see it again, Robert. I will look thru my cats. I have a Woodworkers Supply.

keith zimmerman
02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Carole,

soft, pithy woods can be nerve-racking! I just finished a small spalted birch bowl and had a heck of a time getting the wood firm enough be able to grip it with my chuck. I tried soaking it in a PVA glue and water mixture, CA (it foamed immediately). I finally tried soaking it in Minwax Wood Hardener, which finally made it hard enough to finish. I am really happy with the results. I will post a picture of this bowl in a new thread so as not to take over yours.

keith

Andy London
02-19-2005, 5:26 AM
Andy, I am working with a Jet mini. It's really hard to get the tailstock close enough to use a live center. Be nice if there were some sort of extension or extra long center available so the base of the tailstock was not right up against the banjo.

Carole, the mini is all my son and I turned on the first year, with the Oneway live centre you can get your tools in to hollow out the inside of a bowl. It is trying on small ones but the 6 to 10" seem to go great.

As for the chain saw, it opens up additional sources....I managed to get my wife behind one last year for the first time, if she can do it anyone can ;)