PDA

View Full Version : Recent work: Pecan bowl

David Brimm
07-31-2011, 8:03 PM
A simple Pecan wood bowl turned in July '11.

Made for an awesome lady who gave me a car full of this wood. I'm expecting a huge amount of warping as it dries so we'll see how it turns out in the end.

I'm slowly getting better at this turning thing and having a blast doing it!

Steve Vaughan
07-31-2011, 8:12 PM
That's a fine looking bowl. I love pecan, you're lucky to have a car load of it! Looking forward to seeing more of 'em.

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 8:38 PM
David, nice looking bowl, and neat bark inclusion! I have a chunk or two of pecan, but have not turned any of it yet.

David Brimm
07-31-2011, 9:00 PM
I'm really enjoying the pecan, the lady who gave it to me had a ton more and now I'm wishing I would have taken more. At the time though I had no intention of turning any bowls or bigger pieces and was pretty sure I was just going to be doing some specific simple spindle work. Damn the vortex.. sigh. :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Really a nice looking bowl. Nice bark inclusion. I really like turning pecan.

Thomas Canfield
07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Pecan is nice wood to turn and finishes well. Get all you can, but be careful of worms in the bark!!!!!!!! It will split and check on you if you do not cut out the pith. They can do some serious damage to the wood if not treated or bark removed. I don't care much for the natural edge with bark of the Pecan due to the rough bark so try to remove it ASAP when cutting blanks. I had saved some sections for solid end grain turning that still had bark on and yesterday rounded them to cylinders for easier storage. I found a lot of worm tracks and lost some of the diameter.