PDA

View Full Version : experment

Steve bellinger
07-31-2011, 5:12 PM
This is maple burl dyed black sanded then dyed red. This is only the 2nd time trying dye,so all help is more than welcome.the piece is aprox 7x3 3/4.
Thanks and all C&C more than welcome
Steve203622203621203619

Roger Chandler
07-31-2011, 5:18 PM
nice Steve..........I wonder if this is going to be a signature style finial for you.......a finial in a finial.........I have not seen others, so I wonder........maybe a style of your own, ala, Keith Burns exclamation point?

Steve bellinger
07-31-2011, 5:33 PM
nice Steve..........I wonder if this is going to be a signature style finial for you.......a finial in a finial.........I have not seen others, so I wonder........maybe a style of your own, ala, Keith Burns exclamation point?Roger that's kind of what i was hoping . Yes Keiths is the reason i chose to do a finial different than the norm.

Jon Nuckles
07-31-2011, 5:33 PM
The dye job looks good, Steve. Is it WOP on top? I have been admiring Joe Landon's dyed pieces for a long time and plan to try some soon. Any tips to share?

Steve bellinger
07-31-2011, 5:47 PM
The dye job looks good, Steve. Is it WOP on top? I have been admiring Joe Landon's dyed pieces for a long time and plan to try some soon. Any tips to share?Jon as this is just my 2nd dyed piece don't have any tips, except to make sure you sand the black off real good before you use the red in this case. And as far as the finish it's spray on lacquar. Good luck on your pieces and when you try it, even if it don't turn out like you want please show it any way.
Steve

Paulo Marin
07-31-2011, 5:52 PM
Fantastic Finial... That is what I call... "thinking outside the box"
I find this approach extremely refreshing.. It denotes that you are not copying anybody' style..
Keep pushing the envelope my friend!

Paulo Marin

Tim Thiebaut
07-31-2011, 6:33 PM
What a great looking piece, I really like your double finials, or is that Finials Duce? Either way, great looking piece.

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2011, 6:45 PM
Stephen that is a great looking piece and the finial is awesome. Nice color and form.

charlie knighton
07-31-2011, 6:56 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Jim Burr
07-31-2011, 7:31 PM
Super cool bud! You have the dye down!! Wood is really cool and the form shows it off!! I'd sure like to know how you get that finial thing done...that's why I don't do 'em!

Marc Himes
07-31-2011, 7:44 PM
Great piece, Stephen! Highly figured wood certainly can stand on its own, but I have found that dying it can make it even more beautiful. I especially like pieces such as yours and Joe Landon's which have multiple colors. I like the finial too. The base flows very nicely out of the shape of the hollow form. Well done!

Steve bellinger
07-31-2011, 8:17 PM
Well thank ya all. I know there's some that don't care for these box finials, or the dye. But i just like to try anything that i think is different or cool to me. Jim when doing finials take Scotts sig line and run with it. No it's not thin enough.

Baxter Smith
07-31-2011, 9:06 PM
Have never tried dying so I don't have anything to add other than I like the color! Great form and finial too.

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 9:46 PM
Nice work, Steve! Just got through doing a piece with the same dye applications - must be the week for black/red! I like this finial a little better than the other - and, you might be right - a good signature for you!