PDA

View Full Version : bench top mortiser

david paul miller
07-31-2011, 4:29 PM
I'm trying to decide on a tool i have never owned, would appreciate any advice, grizzly sales there model mortiser GO645, and the shopfox mortiser same price, but run at different speeds 1750 and 3450, . I was wondering what the experienced would buy? or any model in the price range, but it is Christmas in July with the Grizzly 10% coupon. thanks

Randy Dutkiewicz
07-31-2011, 5:23 PM
David,

I can't comment on the Grizzly or the Shopfox model, but I have the Wood River mortiser from Woodcraft. The Wood River is basically the Steel City clone. It has worked quite well for me, but will say it's been my exerience that regardless of whatever mortiser you get, it all depends on just how sharp your chisels are for it to be a real joy to use. I've sharpened and honed my chisels to as close to "scary sharp" as I could using the Work Sharp machine. Just FYI, Woodcraft is currently offering a nice promo on most items (which would include the Wood River Mortiser) that any purchase $100 or more receive $20 bucks off thru 27 AUG 11. Just my .02 cents.

Josh Bowman
07-31-2011, 6:10 PM
I have a delta, I bought from a fellow creeker. I really like it when I use it. Otherwise it's in the way a little. If you cut a lot of mortises, it makes it a breeze.

david paul miller
07-31-2011, 11:11 PM
my main question is which is preferred a 1750 or 3450 rpm mortiser

Cary Falk
07-31-2011, 11:34 PM
I have the Steel City one. I am happy with it. I'm not sure about how the company is currently doing.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2011, 1:05 AM
I have the General International. It works well. I checked at Woodcraft just now....all the popular mortisers....PM, Jet, GI, Delta, Woodriver...have their speed at 1720-1725. I don't know that it makes a significant difference.

As someone stated earlier though.......Spend a little extra money......get a cone honing kit for the inside of the chisel ....and then get a flat diamond hone for the outside 4 flat surfaces of the chisel. A sharpened chisel makes these things work well. I just mortised an oak faceframe. It cut like butter with a honed chisel.

Bob Wingard
08-01-2011, 1:05 AM
I have the JET which runs at 1750 RPM's and that was one of the major deciding points ... higher speed = more friction/heat/noise. The bit spinning at 1750 is more than capable of evacuating the chips & debris created by the chisel.

david paul miller
08-01-2011, 1:24 AM
thanks everybody, 1750 it is. Thanks Ken , I need to research sharpening tools

Randy Dutkiewicz
08-01-2011, 8:37 PM
David,

I was going to add the following link from American Woodworker regarding speed.
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/reviews/archive/2009/02/23/benchtop-mortisers.aspx

They basically state that faster speed mortisers make faster work on cutting the mortises, but generate much more heat, smoke, and are much harder on the chisels themselves. Slower speeds are...well...just the opposite. I believe the Wood Whisperer also has a review on mortising machines where Mark breaks it all down very well. Just do a search. The diamond honing cones I purchased were from Lee Valley. They were by far the cheapest around. Hope this helps also.

Jim Rimmer
08-02-2011, 1:13 PM
The Wood Whisperer posted a video a couple of weeks ago where he compares several mortisers and explains what to look for based on your level of use. It's worth a look-see.