PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Pecan

Kathy Marshall
07-31-2011, 4:27 AM
I've been working on a smaller pecan log (about 6" x about 24"). I picked out that log because my tree trimmer friend asked if I would turn a bunch of small bowls, 3"-5" or so, and such to give out to her regular customers for christmas. She said she'd need about 200 of them :eek: so I figured I better get started. When I cut the 1st section off the log, I noticed there were alot of worm tracks in the sapwood, so I thought I might get some cool looking pieces!
This was the 1st one. It's about 4" x 2" with a coat of DO. I used an awl to pretty well clean out the tracks, and used the elf tool to texture the base (pretty happy with how the texturing turned out).
203594 203589

This is the 2nd one I did. This one is also about 4" x 2" but instead of DO, I used a combination of blue and red Rit dyes. On this one I didn't clean the tracks as much, just used my air to blow off what was loose. For the dyes, I put the blue on 1st because I wanted it to get down in the tracks, so I was pretty liberal with it and just wiped off the excess from the non track areas to leave a lighter coating. Then I went over it lightly with the red (to keep it out of the tracks). The tracks that still had dust? in them turned almost black. The dust, (though pretty firmly packed in the tracks) really sucked up the dye. Where the dust had blown out, it left a nice light blue color. The color is not showing true in this pic, it's actually more of a purplish color.
Not one of my best, that's for sure, but I don't mind showing the bad along with the better. I noticed I left some tool marks and there was some tearout that I couldn't get rid of. But I was just playing around so it's all good. If I were to do another like this, I would clean out the tracks thoroughly and make sure I had as good a surface as possible before applying any dye.

This was the 3rd and my favorite of the bunch. It's about 5" x 6" and I turned it endgrain to try and get a continuous band of tracks around the widest parts. The tracks on this one were painstakingly and meticulously cleaned using a dental pick. It literally took hours just to clean out the tracks. Natures piercing was no quicker or easier than hand piercing, but I do like how natural it looks ;) . Just a coat of DO so far.
203593 203592

This is the 4th. It's about 6" x 4" x 2" with a coat of DO. I cranked the lathe up to about 1800 - 2000 rpms for this one, I usually turn NE bowls around 1000 - 1400 depending on size, but I wanted to try it a bit faster to reduce "cutting air". It worked well, had almost no bounce when turning the wings and ended up with a surface that was easy to sand by hand to a finish. For cleaning out the tracks on this one, I used my Dremmel tool with a teeny, tiny round cutter. It did the job quickly but not quite as cleanly as the pick. But all in all it turned out ok.

Still have a chunk of the log left with a fork on the end and also a couple more half sections so I'm ready for when I feel like cleaning tracks again lol.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Toney Robertson
07-31-2011, 7:05 AM
All pretty sweet looking Kathy.

I agree with you that I think I like the third one best too. The tracks really set it off and you have a touch of heart wood too.

Excellent work.

Josh Bowman
07-31-2011, 7:17 AM
Kathy,
Those all look great. I also like the holes in the 3rd one. Well, only 196 more to do.

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 7:17 AM
Some good work, Kathy! Have to agree with your assessment and Toney, but the dyed piece is neat, too. The bugs sure helped you have some added interest with these.

charlie knighton
07-31-2011, 7:25 AM
Kathy, i have to agree with everybody, i like the 3rd one best , but the worm tracks make all very interesting. you might save a bunch up and take um down to car wash with high pressure nozzle, thats what i did with the stump. i used a paint can opener instead of dental pick to loosen the dirt and rocks. very nice

Donny Lawson
07-31-2011, 8:37 AM
Kathy, those are some really nice pieces. The worm holes add good character to each piece.

Steve Vaughan
07-31-2011, 8:43 AM
Man, that's beautiful! My favs are #'s 3 & 4. Sometimes you just can't mess with nature and I love the piercings it provided. You did great at highlighting them!

Cathy Schaewe
07-31-2011, 9:29 AM
Ditto what they all said -
how many days till Christmas? You better get hoppin!

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Beautiful pieces Kathy. I do love that vase.

Bill Bulloch
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Well ain't that something? I was turning a piece of Lebanon Cedar and encounter worm tracks that I could not turn out, so I threw the piece in the trash wood box. After looking at your outstanding pieces I pulled it out and think I am going to finish it and see if mine comes out as nice as yours.

Here is what I am talking about.

David DeCristoforo
07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
These are really nice but I'm with you on the hollow form. That's my favorite too. I love the "natural piercing"!

Scott Hackler
07-31-2011, 10:48 AM
+2 on that HF. It is my favorite of the bunch. Real nice work kathy.

Doug W Swanson
07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
I think they are all nice but the HF looks really cool!

You might want get cranking on those bowls!

Jon Nuckles
07-31-2011, 1:19 PM
They are all nice, Kathy, but I agree with you and almost everyone else that the HF is the clear winner. A request for 200 bowls might overwhelm some people, but the way you knock them out, I have no doubt you'll have them ready by Labor Day!

David E Keller
07-31-2011, 3:35 PM
Neat work, Kathy! I love the natural piercing, too!

If you've got to make 200 of these, I'd find a log or two that don't require hours of picking out bug poop!

Robert McGowen
07-31-2011, 3:40 PM
They all look good, but that hollow form really stands out as the best of the bunch to me. Great job!

Roger Chandler
07-31-2011, 5:16 PM
Holey moley.........er, uh, I mean holey pecan! :D Nice, nice stuff Kathy..........good form on the bowls......but I have to agree with everyone about that hollow form..........that is a beauty for sure...........nice stuff there, AZ girl!

Tim Thiebaut
07-31-2011, 6:34 PM
Those are some great looking bowls Kathy...wow 200 of them! That will be a good sized project for ya!

Baxter Smith
07-31-2011, 9:13 PM
Nice bugs! Bowls and hollowforms too!