PDA

View Full Version : how much do you post?

curtis rosche
07-31-2011, 1:07 AM
how many of your turnings do you post? i know there are some production turners out there that dont post their work unless its a special peice or have a question. but i know there are some out there that post everything they have done.
i havent posted anything ive done for awhile cause everything i have been doing is somewhat plane and repetitive stuff to sell at the gallery, and i just been curious as to how much other really post

Tim Thiebaut
07-31-2011, 3:44 AM
It runs approx %25 for me....I like doing a lot of experimentation, sometimes things dont turn out so well, others just so-so...some stuff is just off the wall and I wanted to see what would happen with a certain style, or method of turning. Some stuff I have turned for utility purposes....handles and that kind of stuff, I usualy dont bother posting those anymore.

Mike Cruz
07-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Hehe, I voted "only if it is special in some way". That said, it is probably still 90-100% since, so far, they've all been "special" to me. Of course, the "all" is a VERY low number... :)

Scott Hackler
07-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I voted 90% (guess Im the only one right now) because I am always doing form experimentation and sometimes they just dont "work"! If I am so-so on the new form, I will post it to get other peoples perspectives. There are several pieces on the shelf of shame!

David DeCristoforo
07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I have posted almost every piece I have made to date on SMC. Even the "stinkers". The ones I have not posted are the ones that did not survive.

Dennis Ford
07-31-2011, 1:13 PM
I choose "50%" for the poll. I have not really counted them up but 50% seems about right. Any of the choices make sense to me except "I don't post". I am curious why so many people don't post pictures. There is a wide range of turning styles and skills here (and a wide range of photography skills) but this is a friendly group and critics are rare unless critques are asked for.

Roger Chandler
07-31-2011, 1:49 PM
Mine is probably in the 25-50% range...........I have done lots I have not posted..........lately it has probably been maybe an average of 35-40%.

Lionel Mercier
07-31-2011, 2:41 PM
Good evening everyone,
I think I post 90% of the pieces I try
Even if I am not satisfied, (I say why), it allows me to see what is the opinion of other turners
Above all, what I desire is that others try and do better in order to
things are progressing.

Kathy Marshall
07-31-2011, 2:54 PM
I went with 90%, but it might be just a little less than that. Believe it or not, I've turned stuff that I haven't posted, usually because it's nearly identical to another piece that I did post. Part of the fun of turning for me is showing someone what I've made, and since the dogs and cats don't seem to care when I bring something in the house to show them, that leaves you all as my audience!
I have also learned alot from posting my pieces and using the feedback to improve on the next one. I've also learned alot from what I've seen others post. There are several forms that I wouldn't even have thought to attempt if I hadn't seen one posted by another turner, just call me imaginatively challenged!

Ed Morgano
07-31-2011, 3:00 PM
I went with 90%, but it might be just a little less than that. Believe it or not, I've turned stuff that I haven't posted, usually because it's nearly identical to another piece that I did post. Part of the fun of turning for me is showing someone what I've made, and since the dogs and cats don't seem to care when I bring something in the house to show them, that leaves you all as my audience!
I have also learned alot from posting my pieces and using the feedback to improve on the next one. I've also learned alot from what I've seen others post. There are several forms that I wouldn't even have thought to attempt if I hadn't seen one posted by another turner, just call me imaginatively challenged!

Kathy, I'm with you on this. I've probably posted 99% of everything I've made. I've learned a lot from the comments from other turners and that has helped me tremendiously. Thanks everyone for your help and guidence.

Bill Bulloch
07-31-2011, 3:26 PM
I put 50%, but that is just a guess. When I do something different, for example: when I started segmenting and then when I started making hollow forms with the monster. I posted all most all of them at first, even the ones I knew were bad because I was looking for feed back to help me get on the right track. After that I posted when I did something different. Again looking for that feed back.

I try not to post the same design twice, unless it is in a group of turnings. I turn something just about everyday, and if I posted everything you sure would get tired of me fast.

The main thing about this forum is the help you get from the members. Most are always willing to help with a word of advise or encouragement.

David E Keller
07-31-2011, 3:43 PM
I probably post around 25% of the stuff I finish... Much of what I turn is disappointing to me in one way or another, so I don't feel like dragging out the camera!

Rick Markham
07-31-2011, 3:59 PM
Hehe, I voted "only if it is special in some way". That said, it is probably still 90-100% since, so far, they've all been "special" to me. Of course, the "all" is a VERY low number... :)

You're too busy playing with your chainsaw :p Stop cutting down trees and start turning some :D