PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Experiment

Jeff Fagen
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
After seeing all the cool posts of bracelets,rings and pendants I was excited to give them a try.I'd tried bracelets a while back with a few explosions,same thing when I started rings but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.:cool:
The red bracelet is box elder with red wood dye,two are spalted maple and the other apple.
The small rings are Paduk and the dark wood rings I don't know some South American wood.
They are finished with many coats of CA glue sanding with 400 in between and polished with car wax.
I think the pendant is mesquite.

Just a cranky guy from Elk Mound trying to have fun!!:p

Oh our woodturning club is having a picnic tomorrow and we are taking turnings to show the families.
Next week at our meeting there will be people from the public library to look at turnings to be submitted to their juried art show.
Maybe they will mistake my crap for art!:D

Greg Just
07-30-2011, 11:01 PM
for a cranky guy, you make some nice stuff. Don't look now, but there is some severe weather headed your way. They bad stuff is hitting us right now!

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Really nice stuff Jeff for a cranky guy. Looks to me like you are having a lot of fun.

Eric Holmquist
07-31-2011, 8:31 AM
Looks like you got the technique down. Making turned jewelry has been a fun recent experiment for me. I still have some stuff to try like bracelets.

Scott Lux
07-31-2011, 8:55 AM
Nice work. I really like the spalted maple bracelets. If you want to make thinner rings that won't by blow up, glue up two thin pieces with the grains offset 90 degrees.

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 9:17 AM
Jeff, looks like you did good to me! I really like the lighter colored bracelets (spalted maple) - they look like alabaster. Very neat, and yes, I would think it is art!

Betty Fox
07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Jeff, that's some great work. Great finishing too.

Jeff Fagen
07-31-2011, 6:45 PM
Thank you for the nice comments folks and yes Scott I'll try some glue ups.
At our club picnic today they signed me up to do a demo in October so I'd better get practiced.
The picnic is a nice social get together for woodturners to visit and for their spouses to see other turners work.

Baxter Smith
07-31-2011, 9:12 PM
You are definitely getting the hang of it Jeff. They all look nice!