PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl

Michael Stafford
02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Here is a maple bowl about 7 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall. This is the second time I have tried to execute this form. I like the form when I envision it but when I execute it, although I still like it, it looks like it is missing something, maybe missing a whole lot. :o Give me your thoughts and thanks for looking...

Dan Gill
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
I like the form. It reminds me of a Southwestern pottery style I've seen. Maybe if you made the bowl a little taller above the line, it would give you the look you want.

Good job, in my book.

Karl Laustrup
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Mike, I like the wood and the job you did on the bowl. I also like the design, but I too feel something is missing. The only thing I can come up with is maybe a lid? But then when I envision [my envisioning skills are somewhat suspect:o ] a lid it still doesn't look quite right. I still like it.:)

Glenn Hodges
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Nice design, repeat above, reminds me also of SW pottery. The wood is pure and clean looking, makes it look good enough to eat from it. I like it.

Darren Ford
02-18-2005, 1:11 PM
The only things missing from that bowl are a display pedestal and gallery.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-18-2005, 6:08 PM
First, the placement of the wood to get the grain looking like it does, is perfect. The execution is beautiful. The Southwest style is very evident.

No expert here and I spent a lot of time lookin'.

I'm not sure that I would change a thing, but if you want to, you might try deepening the curve on the upper part on one and see if that gives you what you want.

Bruce

Gary Max
02-18-2005, 6:08 PM
Mike I think you should do one of two things with this item
Hang a price tag on it ---or my birthday is coming up.
I would be proud to have the bowl sitting in my dinning room.
Great job.

John Shuk
02-18-2005, 6:09 PM
Mike,
I like it alot. I think you balanced the grain in the bottom of the bowl nicely as well. The "splotch" in the center makes me think of a rorscach. Very nice bowl.
John

Steve Inniss
02-18-2005, 7:28 PM
Mike,
Beautiful, clean design which suits the wood IMHO. It always seems to me when I put a cove on the outside but keep a nice even curve on the inside, the result seems a little dumpy to the eye due to the necessary thickness. I would not change anything there though. -Steve

Jim Becker
02-18-2005, 8:16 PM
Very nice--it sparkles and is a great form. You did a nice job at cutting the curves without interruption, too.

I agree about the SW pottery references. You may enjoy trying another of the same general shape, but challenge yourself by making the opening no more than about 1/3" the width of the piece. BTW, one of the best places for hollow form and bowl ideas is books about southwestern pottery...a must have for the "turner's library"! IMHO, of course...