PDA

View Full Version : On the way to the shop....

John Keeton
07-30-2011, 8:01 PM
to work on a turning, I paused to look out the back window. I keep a mineral/salt block back at the tree line, and have for several years. It has become a fairly large lick from where the deer have eaten the salt laden dirt. I noticed a deer bent over the block, and when he raised up, I noticed he was a young, but nice, buck. The lick is about 75 yards behind the house. Thought some of you might be interested. Hopefully, this one will make it through this fall/winter - next year, he would look nice on the wall!

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 8:02 PM
Not bad, John............he's probably one of several in a bachelor group at this time of the year.

charlie knighton
07-30-2011, 8:06 PM
nice, deer are much better than gators

Jeff Nicol
07-30-2011, 8:14 PM
John, I wish I was out in the counrty so I could have the critters in the back yard! But I would have to move all my stuff and that is just not something I would look forward to! But if the price was right, well I may have to take a chance on the move, so I just have to dream!

Nice buck, and he will be a dandy like you said next year,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2011, 8:16 PM
Nice to have pets!! Did you name him??

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 8:18 PM

Yeah Steve..........he has a name........Dinner! :eek::D;)

Paulo Marin
07-30-2011, 8:49 PM
I hate California... All I see are coyotes...

Any Elk around you John? It is my favorite meat!

John Keeton
07-30-2011, 8:57 PM
Paulo, we have elk, but more south of where I am. KY has a rather successful elk restoration program and there is a limited season for them. You are right - it is some of the best meat I have eaten.

In the likely event that none of you know, Steve is quite the "animal whisperer". He is know for his ability to talk to ermines, rabbits, and various other critters - enticing them up close for his camera. I am serious about this - I have seen the pics!

So.......here is the plan (you probably are ahead of me on this one...) - next year Steve is going to come down for a visit - about the last week of October, and while I am in my deer stand.... well, you probably are way ahead of me by now!!;):D

Terry Quiram
07-30-2011, 9:00 PM

Steve thats a lesson I learned growing up on a farm. Never name your food.:D

Paulo Marin
07-30-2011, 9:06 PM
By the look of his woodturning pieces he is also the "wood whisperer" :D

Greg Just
07-30-2011, 9:28 PM
here is what we had in the yard the other day, the kids!

David Warkentin
07-30-2011, 9:32 PM
Yeah just think about all the pens you could get outta that rack! But on the wall? Reckon you could display the pens on the wall...:D

ray hampton
07-30-2011, 9:48 PM
KY got elk, bear and maybe a cougar or two , NOBODY been close enough to put salt on the cougar tail YET

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 9:53 PM
KY got elk, bear and maybe a cougar or two , NOBODY been close enough to put salt on the cougar tail YET

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that there might be cougar or two in Kentucky...........last week I saw on the news where a cougar was hit by a car in Connecticut, and they did a DNA trace on him, and found out he had traveled over 1500 miles from South Dakota!

There have been some sightings here in my neck of the woods here in Virginia.......last bow season, and guy arrowed a big doe and as it was running off, a cougar came out of a thicket and got the doe and drug it off........happened in the county next to the one I live in!

Baxter Smith
07-30-2011, 9:54 PM
A nice sight John, unless you have a garden and fruit trees. It would be tastier this fall than next!

Nate Davey
07-30-2011, 10:18 PM
MMMM he looks delicious

Chris Burgess
07-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I cant imagine what you had to do to get that Horse to let you put antlers on it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Pretty looking deer John. What are you trying to do coax them close to the house so you can shoot them from your easy chair deer stand.:D;)

Tim Thiebaut
07-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Very nice John, are you able to hunt right there on your land? That would be nice to be able to do so...

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 7:27 AM
Tim, my son and I do hunt here some, but we have other locations available to us, as well. Roger, I am quite sure there are others around. I used to have a trail camera up at this lick, but it finally died. I need to get a new one.

Greg, we have at least one set of twins running around here, as well.

Michelle Rich
07-31-2011, 7:30 AM
next year he'd look great in my freezer...:-)

Tony De Masi
07-31-2011, 7:31 AM
I hate to see this after losing my lease on some hunting property. Looks like the guns and bows will have to be put away for this year. Otherwise another year on that buck will do the trick for sure.

Cathy Schaewe
07-31-2011, 9:39 AM
I don't mind the pets like yours - but this gal spent a night on my back deck this spring, right outside our bedroom. Looking in. I can do without that ...
and I assume she's the one who ate all the cherries off my cherry tree, too.

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 9:54 AM
Now, that would be hard to "bear!!":D

Brian Weaver
07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
A couple of weeks ago just as the sun was going down the wife and I headed out to the hot tub. As we were getting ready to take the top off I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, I looked over and about 50 yards away a grizzly was standing there looking at us. I said "Holy fracken shoe salesman there's a grizzly standing there!" My wife looked at me and got this bewildered look on her face and said "what?" She saw it as it wandered off into the trees not in any big hurry. We did get into the hot tub but couldn't help feeling like we were in a big bowl of soup!

Mike Cruz
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
You know, John, I've said it for years, but I guess the local hunters just don't get it... If they took either JUST the button bucks OR nothing at all for just 2-3 years, there would be a plethera of trophy bucks here. But they rarely live past their first year. As soon as they have antlers, they get shot. I'm not anti-hunting. But taking the all the bucks every year (especially the ones with the best genes...the ones that pass on the large racks) is just shooting yourself in the foot. I hear the complaints about there not being any big bucks anymore...yeah, well, DUH!!!!!!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
We see too many deer in our yard. They are usually feasting on our trees or shrubs. The only way we can keep any sort of nice plants is my wife's concoction of eggs, milk and soap. She mixes it up and sprays it before it turns rotten. Once it does, it drives anything away. Your picture reminded me to cover the bark on our young trees. The young buck will be looking for somewhere to rub the felt off their antlers soon. I sound like I don't enjoy them but when the young ones are running around like a bunch of nuts, there are few sights more enjoyable.
faust

Jon Nuckles
07-31-2011, 1:53 PM
I rarely see anything wild here in Chicago other than rats in the alleys. As I was unloading wood at the loading dock of my shop building the other day, my dog found a young one and started "playing" with it. I don't like them, but I'd rather have them in the neighborhood than bears!

Jamie Donaldson
07-31-2011, 5:12 PM
You never know what you might find here in the wilds of Kentucky!;)203620

David DeCristoforo
07-31-2011, 5:18 PM
You gonna eat that?

Jon Nuckles
07-31-2011, 5:31 PM
Tastes like chicken! Ok, swampy chicken.

ray hampton
07-31-2011, 6:04 PM
tell me, WHERE did you buy your chicken ? I ate alligator before and it did not taste like chicken, MAYBE if you keep them confined and fed them the same food that chickens eat, bugs, corn, worms

Ron Jones near Indy
07-31-2011, 6:06 PM
Steve thats a lesson I learned growing up on a farm. Never name your food.:D

Wise, very wise.

Jon Nuckles
07-31-2011, 8:13 PM
My chicken comes from the grocery store, where we city folk get all our provisions. The gator came from a cajun restaurant in Houston, where I used to live. It was spiced, battered and deep fried by the time it got to me, so I may have missed some subtle tastes. I don't recall exactly, but there may have been some alcohol consumed before I decided to order alligator, too.;) That may have skewed my palate some!

John Keeton
07-31-2011, 8:41 PM
Jamie, you got 'em goin'!!!:D;)

ray hampton
07-31-2011, 9:43 PM
My chicken comes from the grocery store, where we city folk get all our provisions. The gator came from a cajun restaurant in Houston, where I used to live. It was spiced, battered and deep fried by the time it got to me, so I may have missed some subtle tastes. I don't recall exactly, but there may have been some alcohol consumed before I decided to order alligator, too.;) That may have skewed my palate some!

some city slickers hunt their food [bless their heart ]
I bought my gator from a grocery store, it were more trouble to buy it instead of hunting for it ,first problem was the cashier, no price sticker, second problem was my wife did not want to cook it but it WERE OF GOOD TASTE

Karl Card
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
John, now that deer would be hard to "turn" wouldnt it?