PDA

View Full Version : going to my first tool auction tonight...

Tim Morton
07-30-2011, 4:40 PM
tools sell at 7 and live animals at 9...should be a hoot. My neighbor just asked me if i wanted to go...he is looking for some live animals, and he knows i like tools. He said the dress code was hillbilly.:cool:

with my luck there will be an 8" general jointer selling for $100...after all the trouble i have had with this grizzly i just bought.

Anthony Whitesell
07-30-2011, 4:51 PM
The problem with auctions that list tools in the titles is that every tool guy in the world shows up and the prices are (more aggressively) run up due to the number of people interested in tools. If you attend an auction that does not say "tool auction" but just auction that happens to have some tools, the prices are considerably lower. I still wish you luck, you never know what you'll find.

Dave Lehnert
07-30-2011, 5:18 PM
One thing about an auction you never know. I went to an auction on the Shopsmith factory floor. This was right after they closed their retail stores. Huge crowd. They auctioned off the office furniture and store fixtures etc.. first. People were buying it all. they got to the tools and some stuff sat with no bid at all.

Craig Michael
07-30-2011, 6:55 PM
What part of Vt? Do they have it often? Any link?

Like others said, it's a roll of the dice. You are in a small population area so the numbers should be less. Some auctions have zero deals because people bid them up so high. You'll see it from time to time on ebay too where someone will be paying near retail for something used. I've seen a few festool things go for more than retail, what sense does that make.

But good luck, you never know what will be there and how the bids will be. It's fun to go to once in a while just to get out.

Tim Morton
07-30-2011, 11:00 PM
What part of Vt? Do they have it often? Any link?

Like others said, it's a roll of the dice. You are in a small population area so the numbers should be less. Some auctions have zero deals because people bid them up so high. You'll see it from time to time on ebay too where someone will be paying near retail for something used. I've seen a few festool things go for more than retail, what sense does that make.

But good luck, you never know what will be there and how the bids will be. It's fun to go to once in a while just to get out.

it was across the border in schylerville....possibly the scariest place i have ever been in my life...it takes a lot to disturb me, but that place totally sketched me out. Not a real tool auction...they had a couple worn out paslode nailers and some old screw guns. Google Town and country auctions...i think they said they had a website.