PDA

View Full Version : open end sander G0458

david paul miller
07-30-2011, 2:44 PM
I'm wanting to take advantage of the 10% grizzly coupon, can anybody tell me if the Grizzly 18" open end sander can sand down to 1/16", without having to use a sled? the specs show the minimum is 1/8"

David Nelson1
07-30-2011, 2:55 PM
I don't have that model or make for that matter. 1/16 is pretty small to try and sand heck 1/8 is small. My performax won't do it. I don't see how the Griz would either. Double sided tape and Get R Dun.

Richard Link
07-30-2011, 3:06 PM
I'd agree with David - Wouldn't push my luck with that approach. You can avoid the tape and just use a simple 3/4" plywood sled backed with sandpaper. Works great and doesn't really add much extra hassle.

John TenEyck
07-30-2011, 4:18 PM
FWIW, my Delta 18 x 36 gets down to 1/16th with no problems. I've sanded shop sawn veneer with it several times.

Rick Fisher
07-30-2011, 5:05 PM
My wide belt wont do that and I doubt the grizzly will.. I can however override the stop with some wrenches.

I have not done it but have read that on most sanders they don't stop rising because they are out of threads, they stop because they have a stop built in.

The waffle belt on mine had gone really hard and the solution seemed to be to lightly sand the surface of the belt to expose soft rubber again.. Apparently on most machines you can over-ride the stop and actually sand the belt with the sanding head. I decided to just turn on the conveyor and hit it with a ROS.. worked fine...

I would download the owners manual for the Grizz and see if there is a stop in place to keep you from destroying the belt.. if your the only one who runs the machine, its really up to you after that ..

David Kumm
07-30-2011, 5:49 PM
The closed end Performax 25 or 37 with the standard feed belt- not the better one- will sand to 1/16. Dave

Andrew Gibson
07-30-2011, 6:01 PM
I just picked up a performax 16/32 and have sanded 1/6 or maybe less... I sanded some purple heart this afternoon to make some stringing down to .060"
I am pretty sure i could sand the conveyor belt away if i was so inclined.

Cary Falk
07-30-2011, 10:01 PM
I can make my G0458 drum touch the feed belt. 1/16 is no problem. The rosette is in a grove that is 1/4". There are 5 strips(3 maple, 2 walnut) that were sanded on my grizzly. The hardest part was getting them to feed since they were so narrow and thin. I had problems getting them off the backer board when I used 2 sided tape so I sent them in by themselves.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0396.jpg