PDA

View Full Version : Two new Haiti bowls

Steve Vaughan
07-30-2011, 2:33 PM
Here's two more bowls from that wood I brought back from Haiti. The rounded lid bowl is 7" dia. X 6 1/2" high (top of finial) and the bowl with the inset lid is 6" dia. X 5" high (top of final). The dark wood is from an old church pew that would have been installed originally back in the 60's. That dark wood looks like mahogany, but it has something of a aromatic, bitter yet sweet smell to it when cutting and sanding. Still no clue as to what the lighter Haiti wood is. Research hasn't turned up much.

The bonus - I finally got to use my articulating arm hollowing rig that I made a few months back on the bowl with the inset lid. Very cool to use something like that! Kudos to all of you who have gone before me to make your own - your encouragement, instruction, and knowledge was an incredible help as I made mine! Looking forward to using that more.

The finish - Watco Natural, wet sanded second coat. Several coats of Deft semi-gloss lacquer, buffed out and waxed.

Roger Chandler
07-30-2011, 3:01 PM
Really nice stuff, Steve! I like the wood combo, the design, and they both are just pretty and practical. I like the use of the old church pew...........give it another life..........I have a couple I may eventually entertain making into lumber or something else in the future.

Again............nice job!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-30-2011, 3:10 PM
It takes a lot of confidence in your technique to show such close up photos and there isn't a flaw to be seen. Great job and beautiful wood combo.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2011, 6:55 PM
Steve those look great. Nice form and finish.

Nate Davey
07-30-2011, 7:04 PM
Gorgeous, spectacular wood and a great form and finish to showcase it.

Jim Burr
07-30-2011, 7:52 PM
Those are great Steve!! Would have been nice to grab some wood from Haiti...but our hospital was seeing 500+ patients a day. You did the island proud with your effort. If you don't mind, I'd like to print this out and show them at our next training day in September. Humbling to know something good came out of that mess. Take a bow sir!

Steve Vaughan
07-30-2011, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the good words folks. I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Jim, absolutely you may print them off! Thanks for asking. I posted my first plate with the Haiti wood just a short while back, so you might want that one too. You can find that link here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169857-Look-it-s-my-Haiti-Plate-ee%21&p=1746894&highlight=#post1746894).

Getting any native wood from Haiti is a rare thing, if not impossible, so I know I was a very fortunate to get some. Got just a little bit left.

John Keeton
07-30-2011, 9:11 PM
Steve, very nice work - and some neat vignette pics, too. I particularly like the smaller bowl/dish.

Baxter Smith
07-30-2011, 9:59 PM
Very pretty work on both of them Steve.