PDA

View Full Version : Finish for peppermill?

Ronald Fox
07-30-2011, 1:03 PM
I am making a few pepper mills and salt shakers. I am wondering what others are using for a finish for theirs and why?

Here is one I made for my wife (Betty Fox) a while back. She told me the pattern she wanted and I cut all the little pieces and turned it for her. I used Maple, Cherry, Purpleheart and Walnut and is finished with shellac. I used the Chief's special 8" kit. I am thinking of switching to General's Salad Bowl finish for my next one.

Thanks,
Ron

Greg Just
07-30-2011, 1:18 PM
I normally use a poly finish for durability and less maintenance.

Michelle Rich
07-30-2011, 3:30 PM
Pretty..I'd use poly too..the mill will get hand acid, grease from kitchen & who knows what else. With poly you can just wipe it with a damp cloth

John King
07-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Use a tung oil based finish followed by wax. Peppermills get banged around in the kitchen. Poly finishes crack, chip and are hard to repair. Oil finishes can be easily renewed. Any nicks/dings in the peppermill are highlighted by the oil finish and add to the character of the peppermill.

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I use Waterlox on mine and have excellent luck with it.

philip labre
07-31-2011, 8:22 AM
I usually use mainly salad bowl finish and have walnut oil on my every day ones at the stove. Oil will allow the wood to darken and the oils from your hands seem to keep it refreshed. On a modern style with clean lines and no detail, i have used CA. Ca made a great gloss finish, but I'm unsure of it's durability. Had to try it.

Jim Burr
07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Poly works well in the kitchen...but remember nothing on the inside.

David E Keller
07-31-2011, 3:37 PM
I just finished my first peppermill(pics soon), and I used BLO and ren wax... Probably not the most durable finish, but I'm shooting for the patina that comes with greasy fingers!

John King
07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
I disagree with Jim B. Actually, it's a good idea to seal the peppercorn chamber to prevent the wood from contaminating the peppercorns. Shellac is a great sealer, but almost anything will work. Just make sure the finish is fully cured before use. Fully cured finishes are food safe. - John

Greg Just
07-31-2011, 10:09 PM
I disagree with Jim B. Actually, it's a good idea to seal the peppercorn chamber to prevent the wood from contaminating the peppercorns. Shellac is a great sealer, but almost anything will work. Just make sure the finish is fully cured before use. Fully cured finishes are food safe. - John

This fact is often overlooked by people.